Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dodge OEM applications don't have a cooler.

I put a small tranny cooler on my 97. figured the fluid capacity and ambient air running over the cooler couldn't hurt.

a good synthetic fluid (withOUT seal conditioner!!!) would probably give longer pump lifespan than conventional fluid and a cooler

·
Registered
854 Posts
My F250 has the simplest factory "oil cooler" of all - - - one piece of of 3/8" steel tube, bent in a 180 and follows the contour of the front crossmember. No extra fins, just plain ol' tube. Cheap and really easy to make.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My F250 has the simplest factory "oil cooler" of all - - - one piece of of 3/8" steel tube, bent in a 180 and follows the contour of the front crossmember. No extra fins, just plain ol' tube. Cheap and really easy to make.

I had that on My f150 but got pin hole leaks in it after awhile. Since I'm using my PS pump for my winch I've added a tranny cooler just to help out as things get very warm after awhile.

I would never have worried about stock or even with my 35's and a plow but that winch added alot more heat.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
I only have owned one vehicle equipped with a power steering cooler and that is a Ford Crown Victoria with the police package. The cooler is about 3 inches square. I really don't see how something that little is really doing very much.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The cooler is about 3 inches square. I really don't see how something that little is really doing very much.
Good question, in a high flow situation like that.
Harley-Davidsons often use oil coolers of very similar size, but the oil flow is slow enough where they do help a lot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use a AGR RAM assist with 39" tires on my jeep. They suggested to and I have never had a problem with heat. I got the cooler from a Merc Sable, 1994 I think. Just put on the return line and use clamps. 4 years and no leaks.:grinpimp:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts