Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power steering cooler thread reminded me of a topic that may be of interest in providing longevity in our power steering systems. The general consensus is a cooler may add some longevity. My installation of an inline filter in the system has had a definite effect on longevity.

I always install a Cardone 20-FLT2 power steering filter. It can be purchased online from www.rockauto.com if nothing is available at your local auto parts store. It's about 2 inches in diameter x 3 inches in length. It looks similar to an inline gasoline filter. Pictures and more info at: http://www.magnefine.com/
Cardone is the distributor for the US.

I will NEVER replace another power steering pump without adding this filter. Also note that the instruction sheet that comes with every Cardone pump recommends installing a filter in the return line.

This filter looks like it was designed as an automatic transmission filter and Cardone recommends using it as a heavy duty power steering filter.

From the Magnefine website:

When to change?
Recommended change is every 12 months. It is also advisable to renew your transmission fluid at this time. In fleet applications a test by the Ford motor company demonstrated fluid and filter could be 30,000 miles. (Each transmission runs differently and may require different fluid service intervals.) At change interval you simply evacuate (or drain) the fluid from the system, change the in-line filter and refill. OEM's acknowledge it is not necessary to touch the pan up to 100,000 miles, unless for mechanical concerns. This also avoids troublesome pan related problems.

Will it clog?
Magnefine double filtration is so efficient it removes 99% of all wear metal contaminants. It's design holds the majority of contaminants on the uniquely positioned magnet. Even if the filter element becomes full, it's safety bypass opens for full flow and the magnet still cleans metal from the system.

I think it is worth the initial investment.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I've been using the inline add-on transmission filters on Power Steering return lines for years. Never had a problem because of it, and usually the vehicles I've done it on suddenly quit eating PS pumps. (Tow trucks had to be the worst.. LOTS of zero speed lock-to-lock turning, hydroboost, etc.)

I've always wondered if you couldn't use the "bypass" transmission filter setup from Frantz (www.wefilterit.com) as a PS filter. The inline full-flow w/ magnets get a lot of the stuff, but bypass filtration has always impressed me.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I don't think the bypass filter setup does much in a auto tranny/power steering type setup where you cannot put much pressure to the filter. You can't run the return through the bypass filter because it flows next to nothing so you have to rely on a restriction orifice to keep some head pressure on the filter. I bought the estate of the guy who bought the rights to Frantz filters from Sky manufacturing and repatented them in the 70's. His daughter started wefilterit.com to do something with much of the inventory left over after his death.

I had several whole filing cabinets full of the sales literature he'd accumulated over decades of peddling bypass filtration. The most interesting of which were hundreds of letters he'd written to engine manufacturers regarding the use of bypass filtration and the manufacturers responses to warranty concerns. The gist of most of the responses was if bypass filtration made sense it would be on everything and as long as the filters don't flow more than a very small amount of oil there's no problem installing one if it makes the owner feel better.

The fact is the filters flow next to nothing even under 100+ PSI hot oil. A bypass filter makes no sense by itself, but added in addition to a full flow type filter it might help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You wouldn't want to run a bypass filter on PS. They require full time pressure and have to have their own return line. When you do have pressure, it is so high that you would have to have a pressure regulator feeding it. Unless you are steering or braking w/Hydraboost, the pump is making no pressure because all oil is bypassing the units.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The rock auto site shows it is currently not available.

I did a Google search for "inline transmission filter".

I found a Wix 58694
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/transmissionfilter.asp
That also lists it as being for Power steering applications
The number doesn't cross over into any Napa number, though.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have an old Harley-Davidson shovelhead add-on oil filter kit with 3/8" hose barbs.

I'll use it as the PS filter instead - - - it uses cheap $3 wal mart ST3682 spin on oil filters instead of the $17 inline disposables.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
The rock auto site shows it is currently not available.

I did a Google search for "inline transmission filter".

I found a Wix 58694
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/transmissionfilter.asp
That also lists it as being for Power steering applications
The number doesn't cross over into any Napa number, though.
LinkTex.. That maybe supposed to be part number 58964? Still doesn't cross to NAPA. But, IIRC, NAPA offered an inline universal in the ATP line of products. I'd need to dig around in a catalog to find it..

WRT the bypass filters on power steering.. It's just a "I wonder" thing, not something I'd planned on doing. I've never actually used a transmission bypass unit, so I'm not that familiar with the fitting that goes inline on the cooler lines that does provide for bypass pressure to the filter. I think it puts a small restriction inline to allow some pressure to the filter.

Now, the question of "is it worth it?" if you could make it work is valid. I'd have to say probably not on power steering.

For engine oil? I think so: http://avt.inel.gov/obp.shtml But further discussion on that count would probably best be done in a new thread..

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think adding nearly any filter, even if using the cheap Super Tech ST3682 I plan to use, is better than nothing in a contained fluid system that recirculates fluid. I wonder if a disposable metal 3/8" inline fuel filter would last very long?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I'd wonder about flow rate through a fuel filter with a fluid that is significantly thicker..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts