Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

This is a landrover application, but I think the parts and problems are common worldwide. Especially with classics. Steering boxes are UK made Adwest, but these sort of things are kind of related worldwide.

My current steering box has SAE internal flare fittings (J512) with female threads. I'm replacing it with one that uses metric o-ring fittings (also internal threads

High pressure line from the pump has external threads, 1/2"-20TPI threads for an internal flare fitting (-5 or 5/16" official size). I need an adapter with 1/2"-20TPI threaded internal flare and out to M14x1.5 external threads with o-ring pilot.
Return line is same but bigger. 5/8-18TPI threads for an internal flare fitting (-5 or 3/8" official size). I need an adapter with 5/8"-18TPI threaded internal flare and out to M16x1.5 external threads and o-ring pilot.

So my adapters need the pointy end to look like this with the o-ring pilot:

But they need the internal end to look like this:

Any leads appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few hours research and I've answered my own question.

The M16x1.5 o-ring to 5/8"-18TPI inverted flare is the same part used in GM power steering. Known as a Bump-tube to flare adapter. Easy.
The M14x1.5 oring to 1/2"-20TPI needed to be done with two adapters. Both brake fittings. M14 bubble tube to 7/16"-24TPI female inverted. Then 7/16"-24TPI inverted to 1/2"-20TPI inverted.

All available on Ebay for low prices. We'll see if they all screw in when they arrive.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Dougal, This is not specific to your problem, but, a different option that might help those who wander into this post on power steering fittings.

I put a Dodge power steering pump on my Cummins 4bt. The truck was a Ford with a Ford power steering box. I bought a new Dodge D250 high pressure hose and a new Ford F150 high pressure hose. Installed each and figured out where to cut each hose.

Power steering pressure hose splice.JPG
Went back to the parts store and had a coupler crimp in place. Over 75K miles with no problems

p.s. A filter in the power steering return line is a good idea

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Russ, yes that was my plan C. It's a PITA for this application due to different hose and pipe diameters so it becomes a mash up of reducers and couplers. But it does still give a rock-solid end result. Plan B was to make my own adapters. Which would have been a slightly smaller PITA.

But in the end $US35 worth of adapters and half that again in post should see me right. Now to go through the steering box itself!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I got lucky, the hose diameters were the same.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I was wondering what route to go this is cool. what parts store did you use. Russ McLean
Most likely my local NAPA, it was quite a few years ago. I don't use the local NAPA much any more, since the local Chevy/Buick/GMC/Ford/Dodge/Jeep/Kia/Hyundai dealer bought out the NAPA store.

Almost any parts store, that can make hydraulic hoses, should be able to do this job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts