Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are not very many factory made power steering pump brackets for the inline 53 series.
There are however plenty of alternator brackets and you can bolt one on each side of the engine.
So I made a little adapter thing to hold a small Sagenaw TC pump, or "type II" as some folks call it.

The TC pump has a ball bearing up front and a 17mm shaft. The CB pump has a bushing up front and 3/4" shaft. They mount in similar fashion, are pretty much interchangeable, and look nearly identical.

Important to note that power steering pumps most always rotate clockwise from the front. Except for one used in the mid to late 80's Corvette LT1 (and similar Camaros?) which runs a smooth pulley and runs off the back of the belt, thus counterclockwise.
For Inline 53 series Detroits the driver's side cam or ballance shaft pulley (like the crank) turns clockwise from the front while the passenger's side turns counter clockwise.

I wanted the pump on the passenger's side so I ordered NAPA part number 81-1427 for the reverse rotation pump, cost about $54 and a $44 core charge (core cost me $10 at junkyard). So $64 for the pump.

Also there are lots and lots of applications for the standard rotation pumps and many different applications use a different flow valve, which is combined with the pressure fitting in the pump. The smaller the ID in this fitting/valve the lower the flow. I don't want much flow so I kept the flow valve from my core pump from a Caviler (about 0.125" ID) after comparing it with the Corvette valve which was slightly larger.
Max pressure is adjusted by adding or removing shims in the next part, a little spool looking thing behind the flow valve. Lots of info and reading on these subjects if you search the net. I don't expect to adjust the pressure but good to know it is possible.

V-belt Pulley choices are some somewhat slim for the 17mm shaft as most came with serpentine pulleys. NAPA listed two different V-belt pulleys and neither really fit/worked for me.
After some searching Sweet MFG seems to offer the best option after considering size, construction details, and price. Some other aftermarket pulleys don't even provide a way to remove the pulley... Also very frustrating is pretty much no one list the dimensions or offset for the pulleys they sell... how is anyone to know if a given pulley might work with their brackets?
Sweet pulley 301-30020 (after calling to check) has an offset back from the front to the center of V-groove of 0.83". I found one online for under $35 delivered
Sweet pulley 310-30026 made for and sold only by Speedway has the same dimensions and offset as their 301-30020 described above.
The pulley can be installed flush with the end of the pump shaft.

Next the bracket,
The pumps have metric threaded holes and I drilled 5/16" clearance holes in the bracket for these bolts. The bolt circle is supposed to be 80mm and the top and bottom holes worked out that way. However the middle hole I had to shift in (smaller radius) about 1.5mm or 1/16" not sure if this is normal or if the pump was machined wrong.
The Inner diameter of the bracket clears the pump nicely if cut to 2.4" diameter.

Now the offset built into the bracket, this might vary a little given different situations but considering alternators are somewhat standard this might work out more often than not.
I measured from the center of the cam/balance pulley V-grooves back to just behind the forward arm of the alternator bracket, the two options were 31/32" and 1-17/32".
The pump I have measured 1-29/32" from end of shaft back to the mounting bosses.
Given a pulley offset of 0.83" that means the pump needs to be set back behind the alternator bracket ear by about 0.10".

The bracket I made out of three pieces pressed and welded together to give it a little offset as figured above. The bottom is 7/8" diameter rod 2-1/16" long with a 3/8" bolt hole to mimic the bottom of an alternator. At the top I included an ear and drilled and tapped 5/16-18 for the tensioner. To do it all again I'd make it a little different/cleaner but this works out well enough, no complaints.

Note that the alternator bracket I used has a threaded hole in the front, no nut needed. This as it turns out is important otherwise a nut would have interfered with my pulley given how I mounted it. You could adjust the mount design to clear this, or use a helicoil to add threads if the bracket was just drilled through.

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot about the reservoir.
I want to use a remote reservoir on the firewall which is good because the reverse rotation pump only comes with a nipple on it.
However lots of these pumps come with a clip on plastic reservoir of various shapes and styles. Or many of the fancy aftermarket pump companies have aluminum reservoirs http://www.krcpower.com/ecommerce/cast-iron-steering-pump-with-bolt-on-tank-without-pulley.asp
Careful though some of these aftermarket pumps have different shafts, use different pulleys.

The reverse rotation pumps are supposed to have an "R" or "reverse" cast or stamped on the back, like so https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DSgnMQn-m4QsDnyC8tC2ktMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pretty fine work as always Grigg.

Just wondered, you've got your alt and p/s reversed to what I have, is it because the alt might be a tight fit where you have the p/s pump? That is a neat little package for the pump if you're mounting the reservoir remotely. Terry.

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Terry,

The turbo on the 3 cylinder makes it difficult to fit the alternator on that side. Also before I wanted a PS pump I choose to put the alternator on the same side as the water pump to tension that belt.
Unless you have this reverse rotation pump or if your standard rotation pump is mounted pointing backwards you pretty much have to have the PS pump on the drivers side of the inline 53 series.

Even the models with the reservoir attached are pretty compact. It's a nice little pump, much easier to package than the larger Saginaw P series pump.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
When I acquired the replacement cab for my GMC, it happened to be air conditioned, [which was really mandated for old folks], so I made brackets high for the AC compressor , then mounted the medium duty power steering pump om lower left driven off the crank. I had nothing driven off the crank anyway as I have a shroud with dual electric fans, which I seldom ever had to use . I went with a medium duty PS pump, with its can about 4" thick, because with my original setup wouldn't turn the wheels at idle when driven off the left cam pulley . I'm still a ways away to see how this setup works, it will have the small remote reservoir like Grigg pictured , and I've thought i may have to add a power steering cooler in the airstream . My alternator is mounted top right .

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Another way of mounting power steering pump on the left side of 4 cyl. Engine, not as pretty as Grigg's though.

Ed in CO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts