Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van did not have power steering . Where is your PS pump mounted and what type is it ?
Gear , V belt or ribbed belt driven ?
Pictures ?

thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought mine off e-bay. It is gear driven and mounts below the fuel pump. Some have a vacuum pump on the front if you have a vacuum booster. Lots of options.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
gear driven below the fuel pump. I got mine with a vacuum pump off of a 99 on ebay, it bolted right up. If you need vacuum too, this is a decent way to go.

I have the stock one off my 4bt, but i am hesitant to sell it, it's a gear drive that mounted in the same place.

do you have the provisions to mount one? like a block off plate on the back of the timing gear housing?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heck if I know (ggg)

A block off plate ? I will look . Big learning curve here. Kinda like my steering box hitting my starter. Normally I would just move themotor to the side but then a mess of new pronblems arise .

Bruce

·
Registered
808 Posts
A block off plate ? I will look . Big learning curve here. Kinda like my steering box hitting my starter. Normally I would just move themotor to the side but then a mess of new pronblems arise .

Bruce
Bruce, look at the picture, right to the right of the data plate on the timing case cover, and just above the front motor mount, you will see a oval plate with two bolts. Remove this cover and the gear drive for the PS pump is right inside. Shove the pump in and two bolts, plug and play.

In the picture the plate you see is a piece of .250" Plywood with a homemade gasket. When I set up my engines to run in the test stand or truck frame, I pull the pump and block the port so oil does not slosh out when running the engine. This saves having to mount a tank etc for the PS Pump which would be destroyed if run without PS Fluid.

Paul

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the plate.

Now to source out a pump for a reasonable price. besides cummins are there other sources for the pump ?
I got a bit disillusioned today with the starter issue . No matter how I moved the trans it would hit something. I am going to drop the tail end abit and see if I can improve things some . The trans was at 1 degree. I do not really want to go as far as 7 but I will be closer to that tomorrow and see if things will clear.

thanks for the help.

wet coast bruce

·
Registered
808 Posts
Bruce, I know its a long ways from the wet coast but call
Diesel Depot in Sandersville Ga. Ask for Jamie Avnet 478-552-9510
They are a used Diesel House with lots of used Cummins Parts. Good People to deal with.

Also I read on the TDR that NAPA 20-8709 is the same PS pump as used on the 4BT. However you would still need to find the gear to mount on the pump. I HAVE NOT verified that NAPA number. Diesel Depot may have just the gear ?

Paul

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in the process of using a Vickers V10 pump to replace the Hobourn pump behind the cpmpressor. The problem I was having was decreasing the pump flow to 3.5 to 4 gallons per minute so the 800 series Saginaw steering box would not overheat. I found that Straightline Steering in San Jose, CA could build me a Vickers V10 solution for about $250. Mark over there is a great help.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Brut67

I'm in the process of using a Vickers V10 pump to replace the Hobourn pump behind the cpmpressor. The problem I was having was decreasing the pump flow to 3.5 to 4 gallons per minute so the 800 series Saginaw steering box would not overheat. I found that Straightline Steering in San Jose, CA could build me a Vickers V10 solution for about $250. Mark over there is a great help.
Brute 67;
could you go into a little more detail ? What is the GPM of the Vckers V10 Pump and relief pressure ? WIll the V10 pump fit, plug and play in the 4B series. What is the application your doing needing the V10 Pump. I need some education so I can make more informed decisions with my swaps.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
88 Posts
Brute 67;
could you go into a little more detail ? What is the GPM of the Vckers V10 Pump and relief pressure ? WIll the V10 pump fit, plug and play in the 4B series. What is the application your doing needing the V10 Pump. I need some education so I can make more informed decisions with my swaps.

Thanks
Paul
This is what I know of the Vickers V10....other people may want to chime in if I'm not accurate. I purchased a Bendix BX2150 compressor with a Hobourn power steering pump attached to the compressor using a standard S.A.E 2 bolt configuration. The combined unit came off a Bluebird bus with a 12 valve 5.9l. The Hobourn pump operates at 5 gallons a minute 2000 to 2500 psi depending on configuration. My steering box is a Saginaw 800 off a early Scout with upgraded internals. My application is a early Bronco so the Saginaw box had to be refitted with a counter clockwise constant ratio rack for the proper tie rod drag link configuration I needed. The Saginaw box is only rated at about 3-4 gallons per minute and 1200-1500 psi. I posted this question to the group under "Hydraulic Experts?" and Mcinfantry suggested a Vickers V10 may work.

After some research, it was determind the Vickers V10 would have the proper 11 spline shaft and would bolt to the S.A.E housing. The only problem being there was not a V10 configuration that would work with the 800 box. Mark at Straightline was able to aquire the proper parts ( I'm assuming lower pressure relief valve and flow or vane restriction) to build a pump to mate to my compressor. My PS system will have a seperate reservoir tank. This is probably not the cheapest way to go...I just like the pump attached to compressor down close the box.

Hope this helps
Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quick hi-jack. Bruce, can you give me some info on the air compressor/ps pump unit? i want to put on board air on my eb when i do the 4bt swap. i'd be interested to see what you've come up with. any other info on the swap into an eb would be appreciated. feel free to pm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts