Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am sure this has been addressed in another thread--but unable to find it. I was just wondering what the price of a reman direct from Cummins for a 4BTA would be? Whats the average for a used 4BTA out of a van?

Or better yet is $5700.00 a good price for a complete (water pump, pulleys, starter, etc) 4BTA with 50k on it delivered to my door?
Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just missed a Frito truck right here in NH with a good engine for around $900. And I traveled to N.J. to pay over $1700 for one! I would look for a Frito truck on Dovebid and get the engine from that. You get not just the engine, but lots of other items to help with install. If you buy a reman, you still need to buy all accessories, brackets, mounts, adapters, etc.

If you spend $1500 (or less) for a complete van, you get most of your money back from the sale of extra parts (possibly more than you paid). Even if you want to freshen up your engine, its another $800 for an out of chassis rebuild kit. You get your motor, mounts, adapters (if its not the one you want, sell it and buy the correct one), and more.

Of course if you really want a reman engine, look on ebay. I see them on there all the time for $4500-$5500 reman. Thats about the price you mention for a used engine. I don't know the track record or quality of the companies, but its worth looking into.

Jim

·
Registered
228 Posts
$5700 bucks, thats crazy:puke: !!! It only cost me a little over $3000 for my whole swap, that included my NV4500 (had the nv4500 behind the 4bt before I swapped it out with my first gen getrag), dana 300 xfer case, and all the other parts I needed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
canadian prices are pretty weird

12000 for a block from cummins , 6500 for a used block brought in from the states- no guarentees and 8 - 12 grand was quoted by the deisel hop up place out in Langley . Much cheaper to just cross the boarder and buy one in the states.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I found a place selling 6B long blocks for $4700 assembled from Cummins, but I dont know if they handle 4B's. They are an overstock dealer from Canada called RJ Diesel and Brake. I called and chatted with them before buying a loaded head for $450. I have not got it yet, but should next week. They assured me it is a new cummins part(hard to believe with the price). Here is an ebay link with contact info:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUMM...012QQitemZ220089517340QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most of the places that do *real* remans also tack on a core charge of $1500 or more. As nice as an essentially turnkey, essentially new engine is, that's alot to pay.

·
Registered
427 Posts
NW=$$$

They are out there, check the truck salvage yards for a complete running motor, with the adapter you want, they go for big $$ on Ebay vs. buying a motor with one on it. Watch for complete trucks with the 4BT in the 3 to 5K range. They come up once and a while. Driving and checking out a running engine has to be worth something. I noticed on Proffit's site they only use remans now... probably some bad experiences that cost a lot of time and money. Cheap now doesn't always mean less expensive in the long run.
Dovebid is more like Crowbid, its getting pretty popular here in the NW/Westcoast, not a lovey dovey place if you ask me..

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was quoted $5500 from the Cummins dealer in Little Rock, AR for a rebuild. The core charge is $2000 I believe.

·
Banned
427 Posts
5700.00 for a complete re-man genuine cummins engine is in line for a 4bta, inline pump,130 hp engine. plus core charge. remember it will come with a nation wide warranty and a extended waranty is also available.
bob

·
Registered
168 Posts
rx engines used blocks

I'll help you buy used engines, RX engines and blocks for far less than the number you guys are talking...unless the us/Canada exchange is really upside down..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts