Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I'd throw this question out and see what kinda answers I get. I'm working on putting a 4BT into a Chevy S10 Blazer with a curb weight of 3776 lbs and I was wondering what kind of transmission I could mate up to it for the least amount of $$. I'm not trying to be cheap, just working on a budget. I was thinking of a NV3500/3550, but I'm not going to baby this thing :tongue: . I also don't want to use a heavier transmission if it's going to be overkill.

I was thinking of the NV4500 ( I am looking for a manual with O.D) but I'd like to see if there's anything else out there that's cheaper than that. I also need to be buying the adapter plate to mate the tranny to the engine as well.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
I have not heard it mentioned here yet, but in a light vehicle, how about a T5 from a mustang?, S10, and similar vehicles. They stand up to strong V8's, and can be made even stronger. They fit where an SM420 or SM465 fits, so not a problem.

A friend is going to run one behind a 3-53T in a small Chevy truck, not sure if he has swapped it in yet or not.

I would not use it for towing or in a heavy truck...

Grigg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check out the ZF5, if you can find a 4bt with a ford adapter you would be set.
Diesel Durango, would you be referring to the ZF-S542/ZF-S547?

I'm getting an engine from CrewCab59. But I don't think that it has an adapter on it, and I've shot my budget for the next month :p

Pantherman

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have not heard it mentioned here yet, but in a light vehicle, how about a T5 from a mustang?, S10, and similar vehicles. They stand up to strong V8's, and can be made even stronger. They fit where an SM420 or SM465 fits, so not a problem.

A friend is going to run one behind a 3-53T in a small Chevy truck, not sure if he has swapped it in yet or not.

I would not use it for towing or in a heavy truck...

Grigg
Avoid the T5, it's junk for a diesel, and wasn't even strong enough to hold up behind a stout gas V8

·
3,761 Posts
Avoid the T5, it's junk for a diesel, and wasn't even strong enough to hold up behind a stout gas V8
OK, if the T5 is no good, then I thought someone made a better one based on the T5?
Is Tremec the manufacturer of the T5, or do they offer a better one?
And how about the Richmond 5 and 6 speeds?

Grigg

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree about the T-5. Although the ones used in Camaros and Mustangs were marginally stronger than what was used in S-10s and Jeeps, they were still weak transmissions. I can't count how many Jeep ones grenaded behind 4 cyls!

A transmission that is much stronger than the T-5, although still marginal for a 4bt, would be the AX-15 used in Jeeps in the 90's. You can bolt it to a 4bt using a Dakota bellhousing and Dodge adapter.

Jim

·
Registered
854 Posts
OK, if the T5 is no good, then I thought someone made a better one based on the T5?
Is Tremec the manufacturer of the T5, or do they offer a better one?
The tremec TKO 600 is at least twice as strong

·
3,761 Posts
Unless it's a only an off road vehicle overdrive is pretty much required, or at least it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless it's a only an off road vehicle overdrive is pretty much required, or at least it will be greatly appreciated.
Which is why I want a transmission with O/D, and a manual at that. Nothing personal, I just like manuals a lot more than automatics.

Pantherman

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought the ZF-5 from a smallblock worked pretty damn good. I'm selling mine now if you need it.

Is a ZF-5 the ZF-542/ZF-547?

I'd like to but my budget's gone for the next month (December).

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I don't think you can get any tougher for the same price as the S5-42. Plus the Ford manual adapters are the cheapest of all of them. And they're not tilted.

The T-5 is crap. The AX-15 would lose 5th gear in no time behind a diesel and you'd have a large expense for an adapter. By far the cheapest option would be the M5R2, but if your really going to pound on one I think I'd go ZF.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about the NV3500? I mean this is going into a 3776 lbs frame.

Pantherman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts