Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Chevy military M1008/K30.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I need to prime the engine oil on a rebuilt, never started 4-53. Is there an alternative way to do it without buying a $230.00 oil primer? This engine has been sitting for probably over 20 years. It's rebuilt in its original military crate.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gentlemen, I need to prime the engine oil on a rebuilt, never started 4-53. Is there an alternative way to do it without buying a $230.00 oil primer? This engine has been sitting for probably over 20 years. It's rebuilt in its original military crate.
If your engine was properly re-built every moving part in it should have greased with assembly lube, however take the rocker covers off and pour in some oil , also remove the injectors pour in enough oil to more than fill the piston bowels, to oil the rings.
If you do this , before you re-install the injectors, disconnect the fuel solenoid, so it gets no fuel , crank it over several times, this shoud disperse the oil, & also prime the oil pump as it will turn over fast ! You could remove the oil filter, & -using proper thead , screw on an adapter, home made, for a hose from a small gear pump, when the oil starts to come out, that would normally fill the filter , you have completed the circuit.
Some other guy’s might comment on the pouring oil in the cylinders, that part might not be a good idea! However I think cranking over without the injectors , so there is no compression would be GOOD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Papa, I was going to try to avoid removing the injectors but getting some lubrication in the cylinder bores is probably the best thing to do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you Papa, I was going to try to avoid removing the injectors but getting some lubrication in the cylinder bores is probably the best thing to do.
I sure don’t how to get oil on the rings& upper piston walls other than through the injectors holes, & that would also probably require a home made thing as well, such a a tube with the end pluged & holes drilled in the side, & connected to a pressure supply’s you could give it a short blast . Pouring oil on the rockers would not provid much down through the valve guides.
With the injectors out you could pump in several squirts of oil & with a small copper line on your blowgun spray the oil you have squirted in, to dispurse it around in the cylinder, crank the engine over & do it again, trying to dispurse the oil as much as possible, it will act as fuel as soon as you put in the injectors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want to build a Engine prelube tool, use a clean 5 gallon pressure tank with dip tube coming up to an external oil filter with a hose. The hose would connect to the engine filter. Use a pressure regulator suppling 30-60 psi shop air to top of pressure tank. Watch the rocker arms for oil.

Bob G

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure don’t how to get oil on the rings& upper piston walls other than through the injectors holes, & that would also probably require a home made thing as well, such a a tube with the end pluged & holes drilled in the side, & connected to a pressure supply’s you could give it a short blast . Pouring oil on the rockers would not provid much down through the valve guides.
With the injectors out you could pump in several squirts of oil & with a small copper line on your blowgun spray the oil you have squirted in, to dispurse it around in the cylinder, crank the engine over & do it again, trying to dispurse the oil as much as possible, it will act as fuel as soon as you put in the injectors.
I need to look at this engine in person and see exactly what condition it's in. See if it turns freely by hand and take the valve cover off it to check for rust. It's a nearly four hour drive from my location.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a good chance it is a 4-53N. Seen 2-valves on trash pumps and some gen sets.

First thing to do is remove rocker cover and rotate the injector control tub. All the injector racks should move freely. Using a screwdriver push down each injector plunger. Should move freely with enough force to compress the the spring tension and Spring tension should return the plunger backup.

Bar the crankshaft pulley bolt clockwise 45 degree and recheck injector rack is still free. We are looking for injector plunger sticking. Continue barring another 45 degree increment. Recheck injector rack moving freely and check plungers not sticking. Repeat these steps to complete 360 degree. If no issue would bar over several more rotations noting force require, should feel cylinder compressing and hear compression exhausting. Should be no binding just normal resistance.

Bob G.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts