Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to take the high road on this, but clearly they are not interested in customer service or warranting their product.

Here's my story....

I purchased a Line-X spray in bed liner from,

Trademaster Automotive LTD
44467 Yale Rd West
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4H2
1-877-878-5869

I purchased this spray in bed liner on Sept 11/2012, for my 1984 Dodge ram pick up. Within a year of having the liner sprayed on the tailgate began to peal. I brought the truck in earlier this year to have them look at the pealing tailgate. They said that they could "Glue" it back down....not the response I was looking for!

But recently I had noticed that there were several areas inside the box where the liner appeared to be lifting. So a few weeks ago now, I started to pick at the liner and it started to pull up easily. I was not very happy about this because I was wondering how many other sections had started to lift, allowing water to infiltrate under the liner, and allow rust to start.

So a day or two later I decided that I should try and get the liner out of the box. I assumed that this was going to be a big job, since they claim that the liner's adhesion, and durability is almost indestructible. Well it took me, and my friend, under 10 minutes to pull the liner out of the box. We used nothing more then our finger tips to start the edges pealing away.

I contact the franchisee with pictures and a statement of what had happened, through their website. I received a call a couple days later, but was not around to answer the call. I called back and the owner (?) Wayne was not available to speak with. We played phone tag for a week or two, but it seemed like I would not get a call back, unless I called first. I decided to test my theory, so over the last 10 days or so I decided not call them at all....I have not received a single call from TradeMasters.

About 2 weeks ago I called Corporate Line-X and left a messages describing my situation. Hoping that they would get involved and help settle this issue. I have not heard back from them. I called again last week, and again no communication.

So I have filed a complaint with the BBB, and on the corporate website I entered a "testimonial" about my situation. We'll see what comes of all this over the next several weeks.

I am posting this on every on-line forum I frequent, with the hopes that the negative publicity will bring these parties out of the wood work to negotiate a fair settlement for this obvious faulty product.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now the pics that go along with this issue.....

First area I picked at...

Then a few days later. This was just a few seconds worth of picking.

Took less than 2 minutes to strip this one side....

And the rest took only a few more minutes between myself and my friend.

Pictures are wroth a thousand words aren't they...;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I can tell you right now, they failed to prep the bed prior to spraying. All that yellow paint should have been sanded down or scuffed heavily.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well I know who I won't be going through for my spray in bedliner. Seems like I'm doing it my way and just buy Herculiner and do it myself.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
There is a possibility that there is something residual in the paint of the bed of your truck. Maybe the previous owner used some sort of a silicone finish penetrating wax many years ago? This could be acting as a release agent for the spray in bedliner. The best minimal thing to do at this point might be to have the bed's interior sandblasted and prepped with an etching primer. If sandblasting is not available then use some 220 wet or dry grit sandpaper with clean water. Rinse thoroughly and let it dry completely. Apply the high etch primer. Watch for "fisheyes" in the primer. If they appear then continue sanding until they disappear in the primer coat. Then do the liner as you plan to do. I do not think it's the quality of the product but whatever is on/in the surface of the bed's paint.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I would guess Line-X isn't going to do anything for you since the installer very obviously did NOT follow the Line-X preparation directions. Their product didn't fail; the installer failed. They might, just for the sake of good PR, direct you to a quality installer and maybe discount the material for a reapplication.

The bed prep is the hard part; gotta scuff up EVERY last bit of shiny paint, then hit the whole bed with soap, water, and acetone or brake cleaner. Like others have said, my brother has it on his truck and you can't get that stuff off with screwdriver, properly applied. He backed the open tailgate into a tree and the stuff just dented with the metal, cracked in 1 spot, but still won't peal off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this same issue in my van.... It separated from the surface and caused raised bubble areas. I took it back and told them I could tell that they hadn't prepped the surface correctly. The lady at my local Linex place agreed, took it back and fixed it the next day. I would call corporate over and over, they depend on their franchise owners to keep their reputation up and I doubt that if you talk to several different people they will all dismiss it. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.... and if you become a bigger PITA than it is worth for them, you'll get what you should get. Good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well I know who I won't be going through for my spray in bedliner. Seems like I'm doing it my way and just buy Herculiner and do it myself.
Don't waste your money. Herculiner is junk. Raptor is the best DIY kit I've used to date.

Keep us posted on what LineX does in response. I've been greatly impressed with it and agree that it wasn't prepped.

·
Registered
97 Posts
the raptor is not that great either, i was very very careful, in my prep and i applied two kits in a standard bed flare side, cold urethane will not stand up to regular abuse.

i've heard lots of problems with lineX - unusually coming down to prep, and the local franchise not holding up warranties- and what they want for a bed liner in tacoma, Washington is offensive. find a different company. you come down south and i can hook you up with a good place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I plan to prep my bed before it goes to line-x. All they do is de-glaze the paint. I have seen shops do line-x who care about their quality and shops that don't. It can make the same product look great and also worse. I believe any bedliner on the market will adhere well with proper prep. Durability, not sure. Proper prep to me is:

Wash with soap and water really well several times

Dry in hot sun

Sand with 80 grit

Wash again with soap and water

Dry again

wipe down with wax/grease remover

touch up any bare metal or treated rust with a good epoxy primer. If it sits for more than 7 days, epoxy must be scuffed with sandpaper

Bedline.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Guy came today to pick up my junked 4.7 from my diesel swap and his bed had the *awesome* Line-X in his dakota QCSB, I asked him how it held up, he said hes had the truck for 2 or 3 years with it, and his still looks solid as a rock, I dragged the 4.7 over it, couldnt even tell I moved it. So you had a lazy installer is my guess, Id bash em till they own up to shytty work!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts