Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a 4bt conversion and think I would like to use this engine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUMM...ryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I want to mate it to a Dodge nv4500 that I think I will get from AA.
Any other sources worth considering?

Is the back of the engine listed above SAE 3?
Does it have any resale value?

I need a Dodge engine to bellhousing adapter?

Dodge flywheel or included flywheel work?

Starter?

Bellhousing/flywheel clutch system sources?

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
It doesn't have an emissions tag. The rear area of the block where Cummins restamps the serial number after they reman an engine is covered by a warning sticker. It looks a lot like a forklift engine to me. I personally would not even consider buying it for a highway intended vehicle unless it had an emissions tag.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is worse an emissions tag for an 1988 engine in a 1994 vehicle or no emissions tag?

Anyone have a 4BTA with an emissions tag of 94 or newer?
That I can buy(whole engine)?

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
Why not email the seller and ask "Is this engine rated for automotive use?", and get a photo of the EPA tag.
Get the serno of the engine, your local Cummins dealer can tell you what the application is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same cpl as I'm running. Mine came out of a 97 fedex truck.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Weird.. The inline is a Bosch A pump i.e. typically a stationary setup. Would probably work fine in a truck but unsure.. I have a complete one of that engine, basically the same setup, low hours and good shape.. Would probably take $1500 for it or so, a lot cheaper. That one looks good with the fresh paint :rasta:

Anyway, you will have to source a bellhousing and flywheel or flexplate. Little value to the SAE #3 combo.. If it were me I'd try to find a genuine auto spec one, 105 or 120 hp.. Rotary pump typically or rare Bosch P7100 inline pump for auto spec (similar to what in the Dodges). I might be wrong though, that engine might have come from a FedEx truck....

Anyway, cheers.. :beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts