Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mainly just curious as to if anybody is running propane or thought about it. I have heard of horror stories with LPG or Pane in diesels, but also much about better economy and more power. Any input on if it is a good option or not would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
This is just a comment and not tech or info, but: There's all kinds of things we can do to our trucks to improve performance in many ways. The descriptions of other people's experience with these will either be "...that's good..." or "...that's bad...". You always have to figure on the knothead factor!

Some folks are such immature, haven't got a clue, half-wit ignoramus's that they shouldn't be allowed to own wreches OR trucks! "I installed propane injection and that stinkin' stuff blew my motor." What they leave out is that "...it blew my motor..." after the fuel was turned up so high it should have lifted the head off, and they didn't get around to fixing the coolant leak, and it was low on oil, and the turbo boots were loose, and they were beating the living daylights out of the truck when it happened, which they do almost every time they drive it!

So, I'm not answering your question but just giving some suggestions for analyzing feedback you read in various places on the net. Compare the guy's experience to his personality, maturity, skills and driving habits, and then compare that to your own. You'll get a better picture.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have run pane on other diesels, and have since taken it off. You must figure in the cost of the system, propane, and diesel when figuring economy. My figures were a little better but not enough to justify the initial cost. The pane will also effectively advance the timing, so that must be compensated for. I never had any engine blow up, but I have seen some other people who didn't know what they were doing cause a lot of carnage. I relate it to back when NOS was first out on the market for street cars and people were blowing engines a lot and blaming the NOS. When in fact they had no clue on how to run it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts