Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to connect my PTO winch on my M37 to my NV4500. I've been looking at different PTO manufactures such as Chelsea and Muncie. Do you guys have any preferences of the two? Which one do you use?

Thanks, Del

·
Registered
89 Posts
well i cant say much about muncie. but IMO i would go with the chelsa. that is just personal prefrence. we have chelsa PTO on both of our dump trucks. one is 30+ years old and the other is 40+ and we have never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree.....I've only had experience with Chelsea but the performance, parts availability, and options has left me with no reason to go elsewhere. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All the trucks we build have Muncies installed on them. We haven't ever had an issue with them. We build aerial devices and run hydraulic pumps off the PTOs.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Could be wrong, but I think the NV4500 PTO is the same gear as a NP205 PTO. The 205 PTO's are real common and easy to find used. Could save you some serious cash over new.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've got a PTO for an NP205 - if you need a shot of the gears let me know. Just remember a dual direction unit will be needed for a transmission if you're running a winch, otherwise if it gets in a bind you might not be able to release the clutch on a PTO winch. Now if you've got a hydraulic winch, you'd be fine with a single direction. I looked at both manufactures of the PTO's back in 1999 when I built my suburban with the PTO winch - the Muncie was more pricey than the Chelsea if I remember correctly, but both are bulit about the same. Whatever brand you go with, try to get a dual geared unit if space permits - this is so the contact gear runs with the idler gear constantly and a 2nd set of gears mesh to run the output shaft. This help with wear on your transmission/tcase gear since you're never un-meshing that pair of gears.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I have been leaning towards the Chelsea. I do need a dual direction unit for my winch, Chelsea does not have a dual direction, dual gear unit. Back to learning and studying on the internet.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Could be wrong, but I think the NV4500 PTO is the same gear as a NP205 PTO. The 205 PTO's are real common and easy to find used. Could save you some serious cash over new.
Are you saying that the NP-205 PTO might be a plug and play bolt up to a NV-4500 ? What year NP-205 or are they all the same PTO .

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've been meaning to try it, but haven't got around to verifying it's true. I've been told they're the same by several folks. Next NV I get on the bench I'll make a note to verify a 205 PTO fits.

Running the winch off the transfercase you gain the use of all the gears in the tranny and reverse.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've been meaning to try it, but haven't got around to verifying it's true. I've been told they're the same by several folks. Next NV I get on the bench I'll make a note to verify a 205 PTO fits.

Running the winch off the transfercase you gain the use of all the gears in the tranny and reverse.
Thanks, I will be very interested to lean what you find. I will not be ready for this portion of the swap till late winter.
Thank You
Paul

·
Registered
500 Posts

I bought mine out of Springfield, MO - I dont recall the name, but any chelsea dealer should be able to cross-reference the gear pattern. Just give someone a call and see if they know their stuff. I put the highest ratio in my PTO as I could since I had to wind-in while in reverse - with an SM465 that's 6.54:1 + the pto reduction rato. The one I have would be perfect with an NP205 + Auto tranny.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Running the winch off the transfer case you gain the use of all the gears in the tranny and reverse.
Ha! Looks like I am off to buy a PTO for my NP205!
I can think of WAY too many things I can power with it, given the availability of 4 + R !

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ha! Looks like I am off to buy a PTO for my NP205!
I can think of WAY too many things I can power with it, given the availability of 4 + R !
Just remember in the faster gears, you'll need a properly mounted shaft to run at higher speeds, for saftey reasons. If you're going only hydraulic applications, the PTO for the transmission should be adequate - this is how most wreckers/rollbacks are setup.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I am still looking for a PTO hydraulic pump setup for my Dodge Power Wagon truck which is using the same NV4500 mentioned in this thread. Does anyone have a line on a good unit laying around? I've heard that roll-back PTO pump setups have enough flow to spin the WU2 winch fast enough using a 4.5 cubic inch motor. I just priced out a new Chelsea unit at $533! That's just the PTO. Looks like hydraulics are going to break my piggy bank!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts