Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so after looking at all the diagrams of the pump, I pulled off the AFC diaphram cover, and removed the diaphram. When I pulled it out, I heard a 'tick' inside the pump and my heart dropped. Yep, the rod that rides the fuel pin moved all the way out. Soooo.... after you remove the diaphram, how are you supposed to reinstall it?

On a positive note, it was worth it, due to the 'tick' mark on the top of the diaphram not being accurate as far as the eccentric. Mine 'looked' like it had already been turned 120 degrees from pointing at the valve cover, but that was a far cry from the 'deepest' setting. Also, it looks like the PO has already bottomed out the star wheel.

HELP, tho, to anyone out there that knows the answer. =)

--Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I guess I freaked out a little bit. From everything i've read, it seems that the pin is spring loaded. turns out that when the engine's not running, it's not. My guess is that when I pulled out the diaphram, it compressed the pin just enough that it shot out when the tension was released. I used a small screwdriver to push it back in, and away I went.

I didn't adjust the star wheel, since there seems to be plenty of wear on the eccentric pin indicating that it's moving it's full travel. I was mistaken about the star wheel being bottomed out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts