Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally found a step van now what do I look for?

Just as I was beginning to think that I would have to drive to Amarillo to get a step van with a 4bt...... I found one for sale this morning on the way home from graveyards :D . Sweet! The only problem is the guy doesn't open until noon and I'm to excited to sleep!

Anyway, now that I have found one what do I need to look for when I go to check it out? Also what type of pumps are there, which is the most desirable, and how do I tell them apart?

Excuse any errors, I'm exhausted and excited at the same time. :)

Thanx.

·
Registered
854 Posts
What kind of pumps? There is near 100% chance that is has the Bosch rotary VE pump. It MAY have a gear-driven power steering pump below the injector pump, it may not. It MAY have a belt driven vacuum pump, it may not. It might have BOTH! It might have neither.

It might have a GM bell housing with either a manual or maybe even an auto trans. It might also have a Ford bellhousing adapter. Most were manuals, but there have been a couple with C6 autos.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It was an x Frito-Lay if that helps any. Or did they all have Bosch Rotary style pumps? Anything else to look for?

·
Registered
854 Posts
It was an x Frito-Lay if that helps any.
Doesn't matter, the configuration varies, even among those.
Some even had either A/W aftercoolers or air-to-air intercoolers, but not very common.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts