Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trolling this forum for a while now and there are tons of very useful information that's been quite helpful along the way so far. So I thought I'd share one of my "side projects" I've recently been working on.

I'm an Engineer for a Generator company, long story short, I was able to get my hands on an essentially brand new QSB 4.5 CTD. I was originally going to flip the engine to help finance other projects, but it's kinda fallen together into its own little project that is actually coming together pretty smooth so far.

So I was already in process of fixing my old plow truck when I came into possession of this engine. Its a 1974 Dodge W200 Sno-fiter edition. 40 years of plowing in NE Ohio has taken its toll on the frame and the poor tired gas 318 in it now. I decided this truck could be a candidate for the common rail 4.5 liter. I have already prepped a new chassis, blasted and painted fro ma 91 Dodge W250 Cummins donar truck, so I started the process of converting the engine for a truck application. I have access to the Cummins Insite software as well as the interface cable needed to reprogram the ECM. So far I successfully re-calibrated the ECM for truck duty still using and "industrial" cal with a rating of 160hp and 460ft-lb of torque. more than adequate for my application. I then bought an accelerator pedal from a bus scrap yard and have successfully wired it to the ECM and verified it works through the Insite interface.

So far so good, the next step is to get the engine running on the stand and verify there are no fault codes. One thing nice about using an industrial engine for this application is its a tier III with virtually zero emission stuff to mess with yet its still an electronic common rail modern engine. Should be quite a unique rig when its done!

So here's what I have so far:
Old tired plow truck
Reworked the cab with new floors, rockers, and cab corners
New chassis, Dana 70 rear, Dana 60 front with manual lockouts
Divorced NP205 Transfercase
QSB 4.5 ready to go.

I am currently working a deal for an Allison 545 that will bolt up to my SAE#3 housing but I might hold out for an OD Allision 200 series.
20150918_160603.jpg

20140321_143239.jpg

20141008_224955.jpg

20150904_100059.jpg

20150904_100146.jpg

20150904_101523.jpg

20160117_164027.jpg

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great project. Being able to reprogram the ECM is a huge plus. That engine is essentially the same as the ISBe4.5 sold everywhere in the world except the the US. Those come in even higher power levels than your program, but I'm sure there are a lot of emission controls in there. The top dog is 207 hp and 520 lb ft. If you're going for an Allison, why not locate a 1000 off a 4bt. The ISBe3.9 170 hp used in lots of delivery vans used the 1000 with an SAE 3. The controls for the transmission were in the ECM. Member AlxJ64 is putting one of those in his WWII Dodge project.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think I might keep looking for either a 1000 or 2000 Allison and take advantage of the electronics and OD.

On the calibrations I have read that once the 850 ECM is programmed with an industrial cal it is written to part of the memory that cannot be changed back. You can go from an ISB to a QSB but once you do you can't go back. So... in order to go to the higher horsepower ISB versions, I would have to get a different ECM. And like you said, there are other emission stuff that would probably come with it. And then you have different turbos, cam grinds etc specified out on the Cummins CPL. I think for my app an industrial cal is the best bet. As it is I will have twice the torque of the tired ol 318!

I'm gonna check out AlxJ64's powerwagon, sounds cool!

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Yes, torque is your friend. That's interesting about the different programs in the ECM. So, if you happend to have an ECM from a ISBe3.9, you could probably turn that up and use it on a 4.5. Those ECM's tend to be a bit pricey. Often see engines for sale with that part missing and those who buy one have real sticker shock when they try to get a replacement. Yes, the 1000 or the 2000 series would be plenty strong and the OD would be nice if you plan any amount of highway driving. You can even reprogram the transmission to be a 6 speed with dual OD.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Some updates on my build. I successfully recalibrate the engine for truck duty. I ran it on the stand with a Williams accelerator pedal from a bus application. Runs perfectly with no errors or warnings.

I purchased a sae to 727 adapter from Phoenix castings, sourced an early A-518 with lockup. I had my local shop rebuild the trans with heavy duty stuff. Had a low stall torque converter custom made for my application. All bolted up and looks pretty! The transfer case will be a np241 all mounted in its "stock" location so drive shafts should be easy.

When I put the assembly in, the deep 4.5 oil pan interfered with the crossmember so I notched it for clearance. I was able to match the pinion angle perfectly. Next up - finish fabricating my mounts.

Meenwhile ive been collecting parts as I go including a new universal harness from EZ-Wiring.com, 24v to 12v battery equalizer (the engine is 24v), full set of Military datcon gauges, a canbus interface by scanguage. I designed a new dash panel for all the new goodies that will include controls for cruise control and the overdrive and lockup converter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention, scored a better cab too, here more pics..

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Interesting, you have an A518 with lock up torque converter. The Dodge diesel units didn't have lock up. That appeared in the A618. I notice you have your turbo in the reversed position. Any particular reason for that?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The engine is from a generator application which is the reason for the reverse turbo. I have a 6bt manifold I plan to modify to put the turbo in a more ideal position. The reason for the 518 is the only adapter I could get is a standard 727 bell housing pattern for small block mopar. The diesel transmission has actually a slightly different pattern. Otherwise this transmission nearly identical internally from what I understand.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Unless you run into a hood clearance issue, might just rotate the turbo 180 deg and see how it works. Might get away with just a turn around instead of having to fabricate something new. See the reason for using the gas transmission. One thing you need to check is the shift points. I'm pretty sure they are quite different on the gas and diesel units even though the gear ratios are the same. The Cummins full torque comes on about 1000 rpm sooner than the gas engines. You've already addressed the torque converter but might need to do some work elsewhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't flip the turbo on the original manifold, it's angled towards the centerline and interferes with the head. Hood clearance is an issue too even notching the crossmember it looks like I will prob add 1 spacers at the body mounts.

As for the trans we'll just see how she rolls. It still uses a mechanical kick down so I can play with shift points to a certain degree.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Motor mounts are done, welds aren't the prettiest but they'll hold

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I see you added a doubler on the bottom of your crossmember you sectioned, good idea, I didn't catch on first glance, I was going to say something, did you add one on the backside, too?

Ed

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't yet but I might, it's not cut as deep on the back but I might have enough plate left from the mounts anyways. Every little bit helps. I know these 4.5's vibrate..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice build, I love the old Dodges, I have a 91 w250 myself with a 6bt. What are your gear ratios? I've got 3:07s I think they are, but being a 91 with a 727 no O.D. It still cruises at 70 pretty good.

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't verified yet but I believe they're 3:07

With the axle to oil pan clearance being what it is I am concidering a 2.5" lift. That combined with a 2" body lift do you guys think 315/75 16 would run pretty decent?

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
If you can't reverse the turbo, can you just flip the whole manifold assembly over. You'd need to reclock the turbo for the oil drain. Lots would depend on how close that gets the exhaust to the firewall. Is that a T3 or a T25 flange turbo? There are also manifolds for those engines that put the turbo in the middle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought of that but the angle of the turbo flange just won't work. It's clocked towards the engine, the only way it will fit is where it's at. I kick myself because at one time I did have the correct manifold for this engine (which it came with), p/n 4946654 It was thrown away as part of "six-s" at work long before I had the chance to obtain the engine.

Probably a dumb questuin. But what's the difference between t4 and t25?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well curiosity got me and I went out to the shop and removed the turbo. Now I know the difference. And damn it's cold.

Gotta rethink my plan of using the 6bt manifold now. Boo...

1 - 20 of 206 Posts