Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am looking for some information on what everyone uses for a lift pump if they are using one, I have my common rail QSB 4.5 with a 148 horse tune installed and was not using a lift pump and letting the cp3 gear pump pull fuelwith 3/8 fuel line coming from the tank. When running it this way I couldn’t get the throttle above 1400 rpm before it would start stumbling and smoking white, I installed a lift pump I had laying around in-line and can get the throttle to 1800 rpm before it starts stumbling and smoking white. I have put new fuel filters on and it didn’t change anything. I am looking for a recommendation on a lift pump to make it to 2300 rpm. Thanks for any recommendations

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Yes, a lift pump or fuel transfer pump as Cummins calls it is required. Problem is that pump is not normally on the engine. The '03-04 Dodge 5.9 common rail did have one and you might be able to adapt that. I believe all later models had the pump inside the fuel tank. If you want a true high performance model you'd look at FASS or Air Dog systems. The '98-02 Dodge also had an in line electric pump but not sure it is adequate for the common rail. FASS show two models but photos both are the same pump. Price is around $200 on Ebay. Retail is a good bit higher. Here's a listing for one of those. Fass RPDRP Fuel Pump Replacement LiftPump Electric For 98-04 Dodge Ram 2500 3500 | eBay I would think this would be more than adequate for a 4.5 since it is designed for a 5.9. You'd have to come up with the electrical connector or just clip off the part and use wire connections.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts