Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first post here. I’m looking for some advice on a QSB4.5-30 I just got. I want to swap it into my ‘02 Dakota in place of the 3.9 V6. The engine comes from an Ingersoll Rand telehandler, so it has variable throttle. It’s rated at 110HP and 310FT LBS and seems like the perfect engine for my old truck. My problems with it are with the way the ECU is tuned, it idles at 1000RPM and is governed to 2700RPM. I also feel that with 4.5 litres I should be able to easily make 130-140HP but I’m not sure about ECU tuning. Ultimately my question is what’s the better option of these two? Have the ECU tuned (I have no idea how or where to do this) or convert it to mechanical injection from a 4BT? I don’t know if the pump I have (VP30) is even good for on road use after an ECU flash. Any help for either option would be great. Thanks in advance!
-Mike.

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts
Im for mechanical. I like it simple. Like me.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Dieselkota, welcome to the forum. You have an engine I'm somewhat familiar with since I have one on my Quick Serve. To up the power of that engine you have 2 basic routes. #1, reflash the ECM to allow for more fuel. That generally won't be cheap. Probably in the neighborhood of $1000. The engine you have did not come in high HP versions. It was strictly an industrial engine. That VP30 injection pump is very similar to the one used on the '98.5-02 Dodge 24 valve engines. You certainly wouldn't want to have to buy one of those VP30 pumps because they are in the $6000-7000 range. OUCH. Option #2 is to change to a VE pump. To do that won't exactly be free either. First off you need the injection pump. Next you'll probably need a new front gear housing and drive gear. The VP30 only shows 2 attaching studs where the VE has 3. Now that the pump is mounted you'll need a new set of injection lines. Not sure if the standard 4bt 3.9 lines will work because the 4.5 has about a .5" taller deck. There may be models of the 4.5 that actually came with a VE but I'm not familiar with one. The injectors may be OK but you'd need to check their pop pressure to be sure they are correct for the VE pump. Should be 245 bar. If the stock 4.5 units are higher than that then you'll need new ones. You'll also have some misc parts such as the pump brace and fuel feed line from the fuel filter. Worst case you could be looking at around $2000 to convert. Lot depends on how much a pump will cost. Sort of ugly either way you look at it. Might want to first see if you can find anyone who can reflash the control module. Member Nascarmark may have an idea there and he is in Canada. The one positive thing on those engines is they came with an HX30W turbo which is very good. Might have to reverse the exhaust manifold because many of those engines had the turbo up front on top with the exhaust pointing forward. To up the HP to your desired level will need an intercooler added to your air plumbing system. Those engines are just an odd ball and we don't often see one used for a swap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I never worked on a qsb4.5 so no experience there but I recently rebuilt an Iveco 4.5 in a Case skid loader. That motor was kind of a conglomeration of B-series and qsb parts, had a B-series 8 valve head but was rear geartrain and ran 100% mechanical with the ve pump.
Dunno for sure just how much these 2 have in common but I'm guessing they're pretty close?
Definitely might be something to look into as you might be able to buy a ve-pump and then get lines and other parts from your local CNH dealership

Good luck,
Glendon

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Yoder, those 2 engines may have a lot in common. Iveco built a lot of engines under a Cummins license. The rear gear train on your engine makes it sort of a cross breed. Cummins put the rear train on the ISBe series In the USA, but those were common rail 16 valve engines. There was also a 3 cylinder versions of your engine which was also found in the Case units.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts