Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 4BT out of a 1998 Davco generator from the airport… I know the engine/pump is an industrial application and it is controlled by an external electronic actuator with a simple two wire set up and mechanical linkage to the pump. I’m wondering if this engine will work for and on road swap. I’m not looking to make any power, only looking to put it in my 52 ford and just run it. Engine is in great shape and got it for a decent price. Would be cool to make something of it

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If that is the Bosch P3000 injection pump then you should be able to use it on a road application. Look at the end of the pump where the governor assembly is and there should be an ID tag. You should see the letters RQV which is the road type governor. The letters RSV would be an industrial type governor but could still be used. Of course you'd remove that electronic control box and create a mechanical linkage. Pump shut down can be done by adding an electric solenoid or you can use a mechanical pull cable. One less electric thing to go wrong. Should you desire to increase the power level, that can be done as well. Some of the same mods that apply to the P7100 will work there. One of the common ones would be to change the springs in the governor to 3000 RPM. For some reason, that governor unit does not look like the normal RQV type. You could have a fixed speed governor in which case you'd need to change that part of the pump. Below is a photo of a typical 4bt with the P3000. On the side of the front gear housing is you Cummins ID plate. That has the engine serial number and CPL number. With that serial number you can look up the engine on Quick Serve and see every part as originally manufactured. If you can post that number I can look it up to see some info about your pump. Another issue common with the industrial units is a center sump oil pan. That won't normally work on a road vehicle but it's easy to change to a regular sump type. Another minor issue may be the dual fuel filters. Sometimes those cause a clearance issue in a road vehicle. They can be clocked to a different position if necessary or you can replace them with a single filter assembly that would have been used on a road engine. You're unit will also have an SAE adapter for the transmission. You'll also have to work that out depending on what transmission you decide on.

PS. The more I look at your injection pump I feel it may be a late model A series. Look at the ID tag and the number will read PES4A for an A pump or PES4P for a P pump. The photo I've added below is the pump I think you have.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts