Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, got an 87 frito van and I going to pull the 4bt through the side door. I want to pull the tranny off first due to weight issue. Do you have to drain and pull that long aluminnum pan to get to the torque converter bolts? All the t-400 s I pulled the tin cover and took converter bolts out and pulled trans with converter. Thanks for any info. Frank

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The trans oil pan is 1 piece with the converter cover made into it ,some had a small tin cover that you can get to the bolts. If not than use the bar over tool and remove the cover off the adapter and roll the engine over until the bolts line up into the hole. The bar over and cover is facing the front side of the adapter.

Scott

·
Registered
813 Posts
Through the front of the adapter housing (circled) you'll see a couple holes. One is capped with a plate and two bolts. the other has a rubber plug. They may be on opposite sides, or both on either side. The pic is from mine, both on the drivers side. The smaller hole is for the barring tool, which turns the motor over to access the converter bolts. You can us the alternater pulley to turn it over also. The larger hole is for the socket, to remove the bolts. No need to drop the pan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts