Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I am still collecting parts to put a 4BT into my 2000 F150 2WD with the intention of building a high fuel economy vehicle.

I have the 4BT, 2nd gen Dodge adapter plate, NV4500, and Flywheel. Here is my question:

Will a first gen starter fit a 2nd gen adapter plate and NV4500 flywheel?

I know the auto starter will interchange with the manual starter but I am not sure about 1st to second generation. Car part.com does not bring up any 1st gen starters when looking for a 94 starter.

I have used Carpart quite a bit as they have a built in interchange that can tell you what may fit.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Jim

·
Registered
808 Posts
Gentlemen,

I am still collecting parts to put a 4BT into my 2000 F150 2WD with the intention of building a high fuel economy vehicle.

I have the 4BT, 2nd gen Dodge adapter plate, NV4500, and Flywheel. Here is my question:

Will a first gen starter fit a 2nd gen adapter plate and NV4500 flywheel?

I know the auto starter will interchange with the manual starter but I am not sure about 1st to second generation. Car part.com does not bring up any 1st gen starters when looking for a 94 starter.

I have used Carpart quite a bit as they have a built in interchange that can tell you what may fit.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Jim
A 1st Gen starter 1989-1993 can not be used in later Dodge Flywheel Housing Adapters. The 1st gen starter sits at a different clock angle, the mounting holes do not match the adapter. Also due to mounting at a different clock angle the starter drive will not engage the ring gear even if you drilled new mount holes. With the starter drive extended into the ring gear, you have about .125" space between the starter drive gear and ring gear.

Believe me, I tried all combinations to make a 1st gen starter work in a latter adapter so I would have more clearance between the starter and power steering box.

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts