Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I high jacked someone else's post. so I'm getting my own post going.
I'm needing a 47RH / A618... 1994 OR 1995 ..
I NEED The engine adapter & starter also. ANYONE GOT ONE.
... I have a 2000 dodge auto o/d .. I can trade ... .
.......But for my question .. I'M looking for an O/d To add onto my next project. THIS IS a Rat ROD TYPE OF A BUILD .. I have a 1989 6BT it's just the 727 trans. It's bad or not working. SO WHEN I replace it I want to swap to an O/D . I want to use toggles switches to make it shift into O'D. IF the toggle is turned off it'll not shift up into O/D .
so WHAT I'd ask . & CHAR Answered that I need a 1994 or 1995 47RH OE A618 TRANS . & I will need the engine adapter & the starter..
Question will I need the flywheel from the 95 also. or will the one from the the 89 work.
& Is there any other O/D Trans that'll work . Or might be a cheaper way out..
This rig won't see but maybe 3000K MILES A YEAR.
so Cheaper will be a big help..
............SORRY IF THIS DOESN'T MAKE Sense, without my other post.

· Registered
13,457 Posts
Do you have the adapter plate for the 2000? Adapter plate for 1994-2002 should be the same. The adapter plate is Cummins part 3923045. The flex plate may not be different. Part number appears to be Cummins 3975464 or Mopar 5015709AA or 5015709AB. However, this one may be the same physical dimensions as the 1989. Dodge had problems with the early flex plates breaking and they were redesigned. Here's one on ebay and it says fits 1989-2007. Dodge Cummins Flexplate 5.9l Turbo Diesel 5015709aa 5015709ab 3975464 for sale online | eBay Have you thought about using the 2000 transmission? It would be a 47RE and you'd need a controller which might run $600. That way you don't have to hunt for the 47RH or wire it up. One issue that might crop up there is the part that mounts on the injection pump. I'm no expert on these automatics. But if a 47RH will work I'd think a 47RE can be made to work.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't wanting to have to buy that controler for the 47RH .
THE O/D is bad in the 47. But 1&2&3 were good just stopped
working in O/D. so I pushed the O/D Button & kept it from using it's O/D .until I got it home.
I think I'd rather trade the 47RE off for the 47RH. I thought the old trans man said nothing to wiring the 95 RH / A 618..
Please keep any comments coming. I'm trying to write them down in my Build Booklet for the Rat/Rod.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
I think you have the right idea. I was talking to another guy on another forum and he said the 47RH is the best setup because OD and no computer. I have a 6BT on a stand waiting for a vehicle to put it in. So I’m looking for the same stuff as you. But I’m in no hurry. Would love you to make a build thread.

· Registered
593 Posts
FWIW,

If you are OK with a non-locking-TC, the CTD came bolted to an OD Automatic from 1991.5 through 1993. That would take the same adapter as the 727, I believe. I don't know about flywheel.

Also, FWIW, at 3k/year, I'd just run the 727. I hade one in a 1989 D250 with the CTD, and found it to be fine.

Roy

· Registered
13,457 Posts
Irhunter. Your are correct that the adapter plate was the same for '89-93 models. Same starter too. The flex plate basically stayed the same with updates through 2006. That's when the 6.7 came out with a new transmission. The 46RH used in the intercooled models up thru 1993 was OK but the 47RH had some improvements beside the lockup torque converter. Some aluminum internal parts were changed from aluminum to steel and the clutch pack increased. Other than the change to computer operation, the 47 series went from 1994-2002. Then the 48RE came out for the higher powered common rail engines.

· Registered
593 Posts
It's just that the OP is looking for cheap. Around here...there are not a lot of cheap options for transmissions which bolt to a Cummins.

It used to be common to see guys swapping out their ATs for manual transmissions. But, not so much, anymore.

I think it will be a long wait for someone to come along who has a RH and wants to swap for a broken-OD-2000 transmission. But, it doesn't hurt to ask.

If I were the OP, I'd be on Craigslist looking for any 727, 46, or 47rh he could find.

· Registered
593 Posts
I don't think a gasser transmission will be all that cheap...unless it is out of a Dodge V10.

All the rest will need an AM adapter.

Maybe, if one had access to an OEM Chevy/4BT adapter the gasser could be cheap.

I am still seeing an occasional cheapish Allison with 6BT adapter out of a MD Ford or bus...but, the ones I see seem to be all non-OD.

Here's one, minus the adapter:

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you have the right idea. I was talking to another guy on another forum and he said the 47RH is the best setup because OD and no computer. I have a 6BT on a stand waiting for a vehicle to put it in. So I’m looking for the same stuff as you. But I’m in no hurry. Would love you to make a build thread.
........Is a build thread or post different that just a post I've started & We all go back to it from night to night .
I BELIEVE I'VE GOT One of those already started.
Now I hate to admit this... But at 73+ I may not ever finish this build. I've been doing my best to get several small project out of the way Before I get knee deep into this build.
SO DON'T be to mad at me if I can't finish this . But it'll be sweet If I can just get it on the road somewhat.
... I've got to learn how to post pictures onto this sight . As i'm on the prowl for 4 Chrome wheels & I found a young Man that at least says he has a set. But If I can just get both trucks onto the New Driveway & pictures of that . It'll get more exciting ..

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I just got home from Ft Worth had to take the wife for her last check up after KNEE REPLACE.. ALL's fine..
.... SO There was lot of talk about Problems with the CTD. ''Cummins Turbo Diesel'' ..
SO 1st question I want to ask is What problems are you talking about ...
I worked for a Chrysler Dealership for 10+ years .. We worked on about 100 diesel pickup a week. 2 OF us handled all the write ups for their repairs. We all felt all the Diesel's from 1989 up to 2003+ Were the best trucks / motors .. We had lot's of trucks weekly that had 250K up into 400K on them & Those old motors wee still purring along ... Just fix an issue & take off on another 50K. EVERYTHING TAKES some maintenance.
......I sure can't think of a motor I'd rather have than on of these old 6bt.
I know I added up to 2003. But the 03's just had more power & got the best mileage.
...................... Answer any Question you choose .... I'm a Big Boy & I don't mind someone even telling me I'm crazy...
I have screwed up more than once in my life. But I've overhauled about 20 350 chevy trucks back around 74. 5 or 6 Chryslers 400's & 440's. Put 727s inmost all those dodges. in late 70's .300cid Ford Bronco 4x4 80 model I bought it out of a wrecking yard with 145K ON IT . iT NOW HAS 386k ON IT .. I've been intoit 3 different motors trans Np435 & T/F Case.& Put about 4 rear ends & axles in it....I guess my proudest moment has been my 1972 Classic half cab I put in a NP435 . FRONT & REAR AXLES . & GEARS ..& I put a 4BT INTO THIS About 15 years ago. I probably tried harder making this one extra special. .. It's worn out again now. But the 4BT IS FINE. I DID Most of this with help from all you Guys here on 4BT SWAPS.COM. THANK AGAIN FOR THAT. & I worked for that dodge dealership for about 10 or 11 year SO I saw alot at the dealership.
..........I wrote service for 4 different, really good trans Men ...& Chrysler even sent us transmission job from other dealers that their trans men couldn't fix the trans. We fixed them also.
.... but it's been a bunch of years since I dealt with those tran problems . SO ANY THOUGHT on what will be the best help I can get.
I Believe I'll start another thread. This one is getting long.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now as far as the OD Trans .. help me catch up on the 91.5 to 93 Non Lock up trans ..
I'M going to ask Isn't this one basically just a 727 with the OD on it. WHAT DOES NON LOCK UP MEAN.
& I THINK MY TRANS Man Friend . Said the 94 to 96 OD IS BETTER & SOMEWHAT STRONGER .
This is why I was looking for the later model OD Trans ..
I'm truly fine with just using the earlier year OD trans .. Because of being able to use that stock adapter plate .Will make it Cheaper. & I know of a CoreBank that sells trans Core. SO I guess I can buy a core from them ... Build the trans But by doing this I'd need a Torque convertor & That's be another 275.00.
But now how would I need to wire up my toggle switches.
I don't want to buy any of those models or controllers ..
But another reason I want to not buy from the core bank Is so I get any & all bolts any of the other little parts need to help with the swap.
I really would like to buy a pickup & be able to pull the trans myself.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
SOMEONE ASK IF I ONLY PUT 3k Miles a year on this truck... Why Don't I just stay with the 727..
Well I've had the old 727 in a 91 CTD ..It could be fine But It'd be better to have the OD Trans.
... Now my 727 will have to be rebuilt before my truck can move more than just a couple of mile without add 4 qts of fluid or so... Have you bought a qt of Dexron lately.. $10 buck a qt.
& The trans rebuild will cost the same for Both trans .. & Here's an inside GOODY for building this truck..
I HAVE A NEIGHBOR WHO DOES Food Catering .. Parties in the country with 50 up to 300 people.
HIS ACT IS Red Neck bunch of Guys & Gals that look like the Duck DYNASTY ... so for a part of his Show & for the BBQ. he's Catering. HE'S BUILDING A KEG ******* Trailer .. It a 20 foot flat bed gooseneck trailer with an old Suburban body ...The Goose Neck is welded onto the frame channels .& I has a One ton rear axle replacing the Single wheel org axle that the Suruban would have had. & He has mix matched rear fenders added to the Suburban body..It's not finished yet. But it's to have Onan 4500wt generator on the neck to run the AC INSIDE THE OLD SUBURBAN BODY. this way it can have 6 kegs of Ice cold beer inside.
SO I ask. AS he & I sat on the Patio one evening & He was telling me of his dreams to put on a show for his Catering business.. I SAID .. Hey Since that Keg Trailer is Red Neck & Close to a Rat Rod ... Just what are you planning on pulling it with . He basically said he'd not thought that far ahead .. SO I Said step outback behind my shop .
How about Pulling it with a 1989 Dodge 3/4 ...CTD .. WITH A 1952 FORD F3 truck body & An original Ford Flat bed in back. & It'll have a gooseneck hitch in that flatbed.
He was so amazed at how well my truck would fit into his business. SO I'm thinking after I CAN GET IT BUILT. He can insure it & Put the fuel into it when he's using it. I might even drive it to some of his catering jobs. & Make a few bucks on the side. He could get some of those Magnetic Signs for his business to put on the doors.
I plan to have signs painted onto the doors with my son's name on the door. a TRIBUTE ..
.... I maybe crazy but I plan to not put more than 3 or 4000$ into this build. Not including anything I've already spent . & I'm not including putting AC on to it after I get it built. The AC will be added after it's finished . & Calling my labor FREE.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'M GOING TO GIVE a run down on what parts I already have & Parts I may need.
... SO After getting the Dodge frame stripped of the dodge body. I can set the front end of the frame & on blocks .
& Then I'm going to replace any worn front end parts .. I know I need a set of coil springs & I'm thinking while it's apart I'll need to replace the Ball joints . I can align it mostly in my shop. .
Tie rod ends & those other steering part could be replaced later if they don't feel bad at1st glance . I've got all the tools to replace them .
Seats inside the cab. I've got 2 sets not sure which set I want to use.
1st set are out of a Mack Truck Gray in color correct color for inside the truck . 2 seat will most likely fill the inside the truck . Their thick & No holes in them. But just ugly & Flat. Not classic looking at all..
Now my other set are from a 1987 Dodge ramcharger but their Blue . They'll need to be recovered. But I have the center blue console if it'd fit .. & I have the bottom floor board with the correct holes & latches for those seat to bolt back i place . I think my gray seat Will bw my 1st shot. Because I plan to paint the dash & Inside door panels with that SPRAY CANS OF HAMMER FINISH SPRAY PAINT . SILVER .. SO THAT'LL GO GOOD WITH GRAY SEATS .
... Then I've found a Glass tech that has said he'll replace all the door felts & some of the regulator items inside the doors . About $600.oo But that's one of the 1st things I want done because I think that a hell of a deal.
HE SAID THIS TRUCK IS EASY AS He's done several . RUBBER TRIM AROUND THE DOORS seem cheap to me also.
WOOD For the bed I can do with the Tools I have. I had a friend who had Scrap Ash Lumber but He's stopped that side of his business.. SO I'll have to find some on my own or buy Pine from lumber yard . There is a saw mill up the road that mills Cresoke Hi-line poles for trailer floors . OR CUT MYSELF about 2. 15 to 18 inch Oak or pecan trees & 8ft long each & take them to the mill & have them cut. They'll sure have to be cut & bolted in place fast . they'll split fast .. I have the 16 inch tires already mounted on THE STOCK STEEL WHEELS & ONE Of my grade sons paint those rims . SO THose will work until I can find those Chrome 16 wheels I want .& I know where a set of these are if he'll sell them tome .
. Here my famous last words As I have a bunch of electrical wire in my shop . I'm going to say the rear light forward are not to hard ... & Wiring from the front head light & blinkers not a big issues. I Hope . I have a big box of wiring connectors & 2 prong adapters & tape probably 500 different terminals on hand. . I even have on hand rear turn signals & stop light from trailer jobs So That's all paid for.
I have a couple of new Trans cooler s & Power Steering coolers on hand . & I'm Hoping I have my radiator situation figures out .I think my 52 Ford radiator will work . But it doesn't have a trans cooler in it . But I believe my external cooler will cool my trans . & I'm rather sure the 52 radiator is big enough. It's like 3 times bigger than my 4BT uses. & I don't even use a cooling fan on my 4bt . But yes I'll need a fan on this job.
& I have 3 welders & FARM LOAD OF Scrap metal for brackets & Grinders & item to bend the metal in new brackets To mount the Ford body . Wire welding the Ford Body in place to mount up with Dodge floorboard section. I'm not sure how tough Wire welding those 2 floors together will be. But I've got a GRAND SON That a certified welder.
I've got lots of Spray insulation for Stopping the air flow into the cab. & stopping dust entering & I can spray inside the doors to soften the noise. Dropping a heater core behind a blower fan can out out some heat for the heater . Not totally sure how to get it up to the front window to defrost it.. So that gives ne an excuse to Buy that AC Unit to go under the dash. & Then it's defrost & heater flexible hose to the rescue.
& I can reuse the original AC Compressor . & I have several 25 ft rolls of brand new ac hose.
SO Buy about 4 aluminum Barbed fittings. Good to go. I hope.
I know it'll not be as simple as I made that sound . But hopeful it work out .
& I've even got a case of Ams-oil & he filters on hand That'll save about $200.00.
My motor had had Amsoil in it since its 1st oil change. & It has 183000 miles on it .
& If I can get a trans, I can change the trans standing up on my new slab I had poured just for this job.. & I have a transmission Jack just fixed up for this job.
... What do you guys think. If tou want to come help build this project I CAN PROBABLY Get you a rent house & YOU CAN GET A 2ND JOB & STARVE TO Death with the rest of use locals.
... THANKS FOR READING TO THE BOTTOM .

· Registered
593 Posts
When you wrote you wanted a cheap transmission, I was thinking a full rebuild of any transmission was beyond the budget. But, it seems I was wrong. The 1994+ 47RH would be ideal if you can find one and pay to have it rebuilt. Don't worry about the 1994+ adapter...they are commonly available for <=$300. I imagine you will be able to sell your current adapter and core 727 for something.

Finding a working, no-rebuild-required, 727 or 46RH would be cheaper than building a 47.

How much power are you looking for? Stock was 160 hp/400 ft lb.

Roy

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
POWER 145 BECAUSE IT'S OLD. ... Sorry, but very stock , no upgrades on this one. It doesn't even have an Intercooler. & I'm happy with that.
... Now back to my adapter being the very 1st issues. IT Really sound to me like I'd be better off getting the 91.5 up to 93 OD trans & It'd fit my adapter. How does the wiring in the toggles work on the 1st OD Trans . For some reason I thought the 2nd OD trans was easier to wire in the toggles the 94 to 96 OD's .
.... Thanks.

· Registered
593 Posts
POWER 145 BECAUSE IT'S OLD. ... Sorry, but very stock , no upgrades on this one. It doesn't even have an Intercooler. & I'm happy with that.
... Now back to my adapter being the very 1st issues. IT Really sound to me like I'd be better off getting the 91.5 up to 93 OD trans & It'd fit my adapter. How does the wiring in the toggles work on the 1st OD Trans . For some reason I thought the 2nd OD trans was easier to wire in the toggles the 94 to 96 OD's .
.... Thanks.
I agree that the 46rh would be fine. If you find one which needs a rebuild, I suspect the rebuild guy could easily build it to be as strong as the 47rh.

AFAIK, the 46rh is a bit easier than the 47rh to toggle. Here is how to do it:

I believe the 47rh needs one switch for the OD gear shift and another one for the lock-up torque converter. Still easy...but, two switches.

Roy

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok thanks IRHunter .. I'll read that... I'll read it after dark. I don't need to be inside. until it gets dark.
But it's so windy outside today . It's over 50 But the wind was blowing 27 mph..
SO I still need toturn out a couple of project today no matter how windy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts