Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been doing research (like so many of us) into swapping a 4bt into my jeep TJ. According to an ICBC rep, you cant by law swap an engine into your vehicle here unless the motor is newer then your vehicle. What are you all doing to get around this?

1) Register in another province?
2) hope they dont look to closely at your engine?
3) ???

This is pretty much shattering my dreams, any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Get an older Jeep? Don't tell anyone, but you might use the older serial number plate on the newer Jeep

You don't know me, we've never met or spoke, I'll deny everything!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Buy a newer engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am also on the lower mainland (Pitt Meadows). I had the same concerns, and when I asked my insurance agent about it, all they said was they would switch the fuel type to diesel. They never asked the year of the motor. When I went to aircare, they checked the registration and saw that the fuel type was diesel. No year listed anywhere for the engine. It passed the opacity test and all was well. My engine is newer than the vehicle, but that was never an issue. Aircare only has one standard for most diesels which is 30% opacity test. I would suggest that you talk to an insurance agent as I did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for your reply siebert, and others. I will talk to an insurance agent today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just talked to my insurance broker, and he said pretty much what you said siebert, AWESOME NEWS!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have asked this to my ICBC broker, and got basically the same response. they would change the vehicle info from gas to diesel in the system. I also asked a friend who owns a local shop, who does the ICBC/provincial government vehicle inspections. Just in case down the road the cops decide i need to get it inspected, and I was told that the main focus of the inspection is safety equipment and road worthiness, Ie. brakes/ brake lines, lights, airbags, guages, etc. Not with emission standards, I asked as obviously if it failed insp. then it can't be insured.

Also one advantage of living far north, there is no air care emissions around here. Not that the rules don't exist, but its for the most part non existent. No stations or testing facilities, and I wouldn't have even known if you guys down at the south end hadn't shared your stories about them.

Dawson creek, BC

·
Registered
233 Posts
i did this when i swaped a sbc in a astro and converted to staight propane. the just changed it and all was well it still gets a e test but is done a little different

·
Registered
215 Posts
BC and AB are both coming down hard on modded trucks. Buddy of mine rolled his truck in AB and they wouldn't cover it because it had a lift kit. They would have covered it if it had passed inspection. If you mess with the truck at all now in BC, you're not covered. When i put a manual trans in my truck, ICBC made me apply for "altered" status in my truck. After it passed, i had to go back again and pass my lift kit. It's a pretty big deal, they give you a whole new VIN to tag on your door. If you don't do it, you're not covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sure enough this is exactly what i got it from my agent as well, as they (ICBC) are concerned about the vehicle safety so he suggested A) have the fuel type changed to diesel B) get the vehicle safety inspection done at commercial inspection facilities C) get it air-cared. year and make of diesel engine did not come up for discussion.

·
Registered
215 Posts
get the vehicle safety inspection done at commercial inspection facilities
Man, the only guys who would perform the altered status inspection was a provincial frame shop. Let me tell you, the guy knew his shit and said my lift kit was illegal. He wanted 500 bucks to pass it. I have over 50 grand in to my F350. I need to make sure my ass is covered if i hit someone or someone smokes my truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, the only guys who would perform the altered status inspection was a provincial frame shop. Let me tell you, the guy knew his shit and said my lift kit was illegal. He wanted 500 bucks to pass it. I have over 50 grand in to my F350. I need to make sure my ass is covered if i hit someone or someone smokes my truck.
What was illegal about your lift kit?

·
Registered
215 Posts
What was illegal about your lift kit?
What do you mean? All lift kits are illegal under BC laws. You can take your pick if you like. How about... Any item that changes suspension height more than 2" from factory. Or head lights cannot be higher than 42" from the ground. There's also one about rocker height. I had a list of like 20 laws for lifted or lowered cars/trucks.

I've made a shit ton of money taking lift/lowering kits out for customers to pass inspection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts