Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

Long story and my first post. I had my 1992 FJ80 converted to diesel with the 5.9L 4bt. As part of the conversion we (and I use that term loosely :) installed an aux 34 gal fuel tank where the spare tire hangs for biofuels (WVO/SVO/B100). The draw was the dual filler neck which allows filling the aux tank through the standard filler door. I am hearing rumors that the dual filler neck can allow fuel (in this case WVO) to seep into the main tank containing diesel thus causing contamination. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thx

Vince

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Hey Vince,
I was always wondering how that setup would work for dual fuels.. I would check on the site http://forum.ih8mud.com - there are a few guys who run that setup there who might have answers for you. I would post in the diesel section.

Good luck and welcome. Who did you conversion, proffitts?

:beer:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dual Filler

Everything I have heard says that the Toyota dual fillers will cross contaminate which means you will be cold starting on some amount of wvo.

Is your tank made of steel? If it is you will definately have polymerization in the tank which will clogg filters and contaminate your wvo. You should try to use Aluminum for your tank and anything the wvo will sit in. I will be putting a fuel door on the passenger side of my 1992 fj80 with a filler for my Aluminum tank in the spare tire spot. By the way the 4bt is a 3.9l.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dual Tanks / Steel on WVO

Thank you for the reply. Interesting. I never considered the possibility of a reaction with the tank, itself. So if I understand, certain metals in contact with WVO will cause a chemical reaction? What if the fuel is B100? Same issue? Is there anyplace where I can read about the issue in detail? Something technical?

Should we test the theory and see what happens? My filter has not clogged, but the heated filter on the fuel line is a little large (30 micron -- yes, I know it needs to be 10). The wvo in the tank right now is filtered down to 2 microns using a racor marine filter. PH is good (not acidic, I think it measured right about 8.5). The oil has been in there for about 60 days. If I would pump it out, would I see signs of polymerization?

Thx

Vince

·
Registered
98 Posts
Polymerization

Here is a great thread on WVO Polymerization. www.biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/5901061081?r=5901061081#5901061081

I believe it happens when heating and also long term storage of Wvo. If you can have your tank coated the coating should help with Poly. B100 shouldn't be a problem because you are not heating it. I would definately get a 10 micron onboard filter because if you don't you can clogg your injectors with particles larger than 10 mic and then be looking at a pricey rebuild. Watch your fuel line on B100 I had lines go to mush in 4 weeks of running
B100 and that degrading rubber depending where it is will get sucked into your IP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Polymerization

Wow! Thanks for the link. Did you read the Beatty article? I just scanned it briefly and I can see that I need to install a switch of some sort to keep the heat out of the wvo tank when not in use. In fact, to do it over again, I think I would separate the heated lines from the heated tank. Right now, there is no way just to heat the fuel line. The system is on all the time and heats both the fuel line(s) and the tank. I think the return line is heated, too. My oil temp guage will routinely read 200 degrees F or more. I think I will pull some oil from the tank and install the 10 micron filter, immediately.

Thx

Vince

·
Registered
98 Posts
If your burnin right through your wvo tank and not letting it sit for weeks you should be OK. I have a 13 gallon aluminum greasecar tank with copper heat exchanger with no way to regulate heat in the tank. The only time I see Poly is when the oil is low and the skim oil layer on the copper HE heats up and leaves a thin black scum coating. If I keep the oil level over the copper HE and don't let the oil sit too long in the tank it seems to stay clean.

Having a such a big steel tank will probably makes things a little worse for you hopefully you have a long commute to work. Definately get a 10 mic onboard filter alot of people have been using Goldenrods with good success you can usually find them at farm supply stores. You also might want to get rid of that filler so you don't have wvo in your diesel tank and have gelling fuel when it gets cold out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wvo Tank

Got the tank mounted 26gal boat tank with a wrangler locking fuel door on the pass side. Also got a skid plate to protect from rocks..Now I just need to get the fuel system plumbed in.

Here's some pics!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts