Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I’d like to start this off by saying I’m not a mechanic (altho my brother is), I’ve never done a diesel swap, and I’m the “learn as I go” type.
So when reading this, if you’re like “this guy doesn’t know what hes talking about”… youre right… I don’t.

I was originally thinking of putting a Mercedes OM617 into an early-mid '90s Dodge Dakota.
The reason I thought the Mercedes diesel was a good choice is because it seemed like it’d be a less expensive swap to do than the more popular 4BT swap.
I’m not looking for monster power/torque… Just thought itd be cool to have an old 4WD diesel Dakota that got 25+mpg and could pull maybe a small (non pop-up) camper occasionally.
I created a post about it a couple weeks ago on this site and got a few good responses about the pros and cons of using the OM617.

Last night tho
I was reading about the small Dodge D50 pickups from the mid '80s that had the small Mitsubishi 4 cyl diesels in them. (4M55 and 4M56?)
I think some mid '80s Ford Rangers also had this engine.
With some quick research it seems these engines were good in their stock form. (80hp - 110hp I think?)
I also read a little about the engines that come in those Mitsubishi Fuso box trucks.
If these Fuso 4 cyls can haul around these heavy (when loaded) box trucks, it seems they’d have plenty of power for a mid 90s Dakota ext cab 4x4.
One thing I couldn't get much info on was the weight of these Mitsubishi diesels that are in the Fuso box trucks.
I checked Wikipedia and saw Mitsubishi apparently had a bunch of 4 cyl diesels.
Does anyone know exactly which 4 cyl engines came in those Mitsubishi Fuso trucks?
If so, would they be small enough and light enough to put into a small/mid size truck?
Has anyone used one of the Fuso engines for a pickup truck swap?
The 4M55 or 4M56 (whichever came in the ‘80s Dodge D50s and Ford Rangers don’t seem to me like theyd have the power in stock form to comfortably haul around the slightly larger ext cab 4x4 Dakota. (I could be wrong tho)
I’m just looking for details on these engines and to see how hard or expensive it’d be to use them in a swap.
Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have a mitsubishi 4d34T ( fuso ) motor in the for sale thread on here now. Mines rated at 161HP!!
There about the same size as the 4bd2t isuzu motor.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ford Rangers from the 80s had the Mitsubishi 4D55 and 4D56 engines. Not exactly a power house but they did get really great mileage (high 20s to mid 30s depending on setup etc). I'd look around for alternatives since you are planning on towing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the Philippines, the equivalent of your Dodge D50 or Ram 50 was the Mitsubishi L200. It had the 4D56 naturally aspirated engine. This was mated to a manual transmission.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 4D55 (2.3L) and later Turbo model had fairly good power ... but I know a few guys who have them ,, and never get over 25mpg . about same as what you will get with a OM617
Parts are Expensive . hard to get . and rebuilds are expensive .. I have one im parting out becuse of that ,

the C223 (2.2l) Isuzu has low power but got 30-35,mpg constantly

I would go with a bigger 3.9? Isuzu engine ... if i was doing a isuzu swap ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts