Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. At what MPH and RPM are you happy with your turbo response under no-load and loaded highway running speeds?
2. What turbo are you running?
3. What is your estimated HP and Torque at that speed?

·
Registered
713 Posts
more importantly, how do you like those bosch 190s? I'm thinkin about goin to them. I have the same turbo as you. I run like 8psi on the highway cruising. If I slam the accelerator it will respond pretty good with some nice high EGTs. I have no idea what range I'm in for HP and torque. Maybe 250?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
more importantly, how do you like those bosch 190s? I'm thinkin about goin to them. I have the same turbo as you. I run like 8psi on the highway cruising. If I slam the accelerator it will respond pretty good with some nice high EGTs. I have no idea what range I'm in for HP and torque. Maybe 250?
250 HP? Wow. I was only figuring to see about 180hp on mine. I'd like to tell you the 190's are great but how can I do that when I've been running at 1.52mm of pump advancement (really retarded). 3-4 days ago i found out that my CPL767 is supposed to start at 1.66 in the stock-nothing-turned-up-yet positon. This Sunday, after I fix my daughter's blown up Saab turbo, I will be turning up my pump to 2.06mm. Also, I never had the stock injectors in and running down the road. I don't have any baseline anything at this point because of my timing issue.
I was told I should see about 25-30 hp gain with the 190's. Whether that means 105hp +25-30 hp (190's) + 50-65 hp (timing advancement)= 180-200 hp, I don't know.
Still would like to read some more replies on the original questions. I see
57NAPCO is also turned up. Can you add anything here?

·
Registered
59 Posts
6BT inlet?

can you post picts of the 6BT inlet you used?

thanks.

~Brian

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will take pictures tomorrow. Most of my original pics were lost after a computer incident.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the shortened 6BT intake I used. Mine had the heater grid housing molded as part of the base plate. I see the 4BT's can come with one of these now.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
190's

From what I have read on the DTR site, Bosch 190's are very similar to the stock 9mm injectors on our non-intercooled engines. If you have a factory intercooled 4bt with the 7mm they might be worthwhile. And from what I have also heard they are called 190's because they give you about 30hp on a stock 160hp 6bt, so you could figure maybe a 20hp gain.

·
Registered
59 Posts
...I've been running at 1.52mm of pump advancement (really retarded). 3-4 days ago i found out that my CPL767 is supposed to start at 1.66 in the stock-nothing-turned-up-yet positon. T
how is the timing advance measured? I see two hash-marks, one on the pump, one on the block. Not sure if PO punched these in, or if they are factory. I was getting quite a bit of smoke at start-off, so I rotated the pump away from the block (retarting the timing, i think). This netted less smoke, but a bit higher EGT's (about 100 degrees more at freeway speed).

~Brian

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You want to turn the pump marking toward the engine about 1/8". This is advancing the timing and that is what you want. There is more smoke but you can back off on various settings to take care of that. You have to take care and test your throttle response with the vehicle standing in park. You can get the pump into an unstable mode they call runaway when you advance the pump and have the full fuel screw in too far.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found less smoke and less boost with timing advance. It helps give the fuel time to burn all the way.
Did you have a dyno run done on your's?
It's been a little while now since I got my timing set right. I see the same thing. Less smoke and it's black when i get it not the white to grey I was seeing when I had the timing retarded. Also saw less boost under simular conditions but it did not seem to matter because I have so much more response with the throttle input.
After turning up the fuel I have experienced new high boost pressures of 27-28 psi but still have not put it under a towing load.
I will simulate that this Saturday when i go to the dyno. I plan on watching the boost numbers during the tests to see if I can tie in the faster spoolup points to HP and torque curves. I want to drop my chart over the Brut67 engine stand dyno curves to see how the HY35W and Bosch 190's curve departs from the H1C used in that dyno test. I was thinking of doing one of the three runs with a higher load on the dyno to see what that reveals. I will all post this on Saturday or Sunday.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I found less smoke and less boost with timing advance. It helps give the fuel time to burn all the way.
Did you have a dyno run done on your's?
It's been a little while now since I got my timing set right. I see the same thing. Less smoke and it's black when i get it not the white to grey I was seeing when I had the timing retarded. Also saw less boost under simular conditions but it did not seem to matter because I have so much more response with the throttle input.
After turning up the fuel I have experienced new high boost pressures of 27-28 psi but still have not put it under a towing load.
I go to the dyno this Saturday. I want to drop my chart over the Brut67 engine stand dyno curves to see how the HY35W and Bosch 190's curve departs from the H1C used in that dyno test. I was thinking of doing one of the three runs with a higher load on the dyno to see what that reveals. I will all post this on Saturday or Sunday.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I still only hit 1100F mashed to the floor in 5th on the highway. I'm gonna probably throw in some injectors and mod the AFC then take it for a dyno. I need to figure out a better fuel delivery setup cuz I think stock isn't cutting it. I'll know for sure this weekend.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need to figure out a better fuel delivery setup cuz I think stock isn't cutting it.
Were you fuel starved?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts