Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What questions should someone ask when talking to a seller of one of these bread/chip vans?

Also, when doing an inspection, what are some things to look for to clue me in that the motor may be bad?

Thank you for you help.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What questions should someone ask when talking to a seller of one of these bread/chip vans?

Also, when doing an inspection, what are some things to look for to clue me in that the motor may be bad?

Thank you for you help.
A few tips I learned from my purchase.
1) Check the oil pan to see if it has hit the crossmember. It will be obvious if someone has been welding on the front of the pan sump.
2) Pull the dog house cover from the motor. If there is an exhuast leak things will be black.
3) Look at the exhaust manifold. Are all the bolts there? Is it cracked? Are all the nuts on the studs holding the turbo on?
4) Look under the truck. The motor mount plates are at the very front side of the motor. Are all the motor mount bolts in? There are 3 bolts on each side.
5) Look at the bellhousing area. There is a large bolt on aluminum cover. Are the bolts all in this?
(Can you tell my motor had been worked on by someone who didn't like to put all the bolts back in?)
6) Just do a general checkout of the motor. Look at little things (throttle cable keeper, rounded fittings on the injection pump or injectors, oil leakes) You will be able to tell what quality of mechanic was servicing the truck. It was being worked on. You just want to make sure the mechanic was decent.
7) Take it for a drive. They drive like a pig so don't let that scare you. Mine was a 55 mph uphill and 65 mph downhill truck so you won't break many speed limits. They are LOUD inside while driving. Notice how the transmission shifts. Take note of the transmission when you accelerate hard and when you accelerate softly. There will probably be a difference in shifting which isn't bad. Just make sure it shifts and not slips.
It is just like buying another used car or truck. Buyer beware.
Things to ask.. Motor mileage...Transmission mileage... Turbo mileage.. They may all be the same or all different. Recent service...Some places have complete documentation of all services the vehicle had.. ASK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts