Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. please let me know, if you know.

Is it legal to swap gas to diesel in Toronto?

I have 2004 discovery 2. but I want to install R2.8 diesel engine.

I worry about emission and insurance ..

please let me know any information ..

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. thanks you for your reply.

my English is not good enough to explain .. sorry.

but i will try thanks

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Not sure about Canadian rules but the R2.8 is smog legal in all 50 states here in the USA. I wouldn't think Canadian rules are any stricter than ours. Just have to verify with your government people before doing it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Not sure about Canadian rules but the R2.8 is smog legal in all 50 states here in the USA. I wouldn't think Canadian rules are any stricter than ours. Just have to verify with your government people before doing it.

Reads in part:

"
How do I know if this swap is legal in my state?

The Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel (PN 5467046) has demonstrated through the testing procedures prescribed in 40 CFR Part 86 to meet EPA’s Tier 0 (LDT 1 and 2) and Tier 1 emissions standards (LDT 2 weighing less than 4000 lb. complete weight). This means that the R2.8 generally is suitable for Model Year 1999 or earlier light duty trucks. However, the suitability of the R2.8 engine to any vehicle is the responsibility of the installer and may depend on state or area laws. Installation of this part in a vehicle for which it is not intended may violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations related to motor vehicle emissions. Check your state and local emissions requirements before purchasing.
Due to state / provincial law restrictions, these engines are not currently available for purchase in the state of Texas or the province of Quebec."

Pay close attention to the "This means that the R2.8 generally is suitable for Model Year 1999 or earlier light duty trucks."

Russ

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Russ, that is interesting info. Sounds like Quebec where this gentleman lives is a no go area. That 1999 and earlier and weight less than 4000 lbs would mean virtually no vehicles in which it is being installed in this country. A Jeep is probably over 4000 lbs. Also, the application restriction has been amended. Here is the current one from Cummins.

The Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel (PN 5467046) crate package is not CARB-approved at this time.

Due to state/provincial law restrictions, these engines are not currently available for purchase in the state of Texas, state of West Virginia or the province of Quebec. Warranty service with respect to the engines and loose components will not be available in the states of Texas and West Virginia.

The Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel has demonstrated (in a representative vehicle with a manual transmission) through the testing procedures prescribed in 40 CFR Part 86 to meet EPA’s Tier 1 LDT2, LDT3, and LDT4 end of useful life emissions standards. The same vehicle also demonstrates Tier 0 LDT1/LDV end of useful life emissions standards. This means that the R2.8 generally is suitable for Model Year 1999 or earlier light duty trucks and Model Year 1993 or earlier passenger cars. However, the suitability of the R2.8 engine to any vehicle is the responsibility of the installer and may depend on state or area laws. Installation of this part in a vehicle or application for which it is not intended may violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations related to motor vehicle emissions and will void the applicable engine warranty. Check your state and local emissions requirements before purchasing.

U.S. EPACARB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Char the 2.8 is not legal any ware in the us. I tried to put one in my 97 wrangler but carb said it does not have an EO in this state. I confirmed it with Cummins. In the us or 49 states same thing. Check the 2.8 web site and it will tell you that Cummins does not sell it in 3 states

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
If you look at the previous post #7 you'll see the Cummins info. A lot seems to have changed since this engine was first introduced and the hype for it was it was 50 state legal. Someone must have bragged about that before all the testing was done. From what I can see now, it is not approved in California, Texas, and West Virginia and only in vehicle prior to 1999 or earlier light duty trucks or 1993 or earlier cars in other states unless they have rules against diesel swaps. Darn confusing. LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts