Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Maybe someone can help me and save me some much needed time:

I'm putting the 4bt into a 92 F150 4x4. Got the rad. from the breadvan but it's too tall for the core support. Also, from what I've read on the forum cooling is not really an issue with the 4bt. So, I opted to use the rad. from the 302 V8 (with acquired electric fan from Ford Taurus). Upper inlet is on the same side as 4bt, lower inlet is opposite - I made a crossover tube to fix that. However, buying hoses is proving a challenge...

Does anyone who has done this specific conversion (92-97 F150, etc.) remember the part numbers from the rad. hoses they used? The upper hose from the bread truck would "work", if it was about 4-6" longer on the rad side. The lower hose from the bread truck will work also, thanks to the crossover tube. However, no number is visible and the hose is flared from about 2" on motor side to about 1 5/8 on rad side. This hose will work if I could figure out the number.

Just wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas. Otherwise, I'll be going down the beaten path to a few more auto parts stores tomorrow!

Wayne - 92F150, 4bt, Mazda 5spd.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 85 F250 has the 351W 2-row. The thermostat housing is straight forward and I used Carquest #22086. It needed to be cut it to length and stretched it over the housing. When I had the straight up thermostat I shortened the 4BT/Breadvan hose after shortening it. For the lower hose, I used the 4BT/Breadvan hose and joined it to the 85 F250 351W hose with a copper union adapter from Home Depot. It's not perfected yet, but it has worked for about 200 miles flawlessly so far.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bt4mpg,

My thermo housing is straight up, but the van hose won't work because it's about 4-6" short (from reaching the rad.). Lower hose will work (will need to be shortened some with the crossover I made), but it's old and wore, so I don't want to use it. I'll keep looking tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

If anyone else had any input on the lower hose that's "flared", please feel free to chime in!

Wayne

·
Registered
854 Posts
My thermo housing is straight up,
So is mine, I used a 92 dodge Cummins upper hose cut down.

The bottom is two hoses I grabbed off the rack at napa and "cut-n-spliced" them togther with a short piece of stainless tube between.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here's a picture of my original setup. Notice the Ford Part Number on the hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the photo. That hose looks like what I need. Not familiar with Ford #'s, but it looks to be:

ZTA-88274-1C (or)

ZTA-38274-LC

Does anyone have better eyes than I do?

Still looking for the lower hose info that was used on the van. It's a tapered hose that goes from like 2" (engine) to 1 5/8" radiator. Just guessing on those dimensions, but the hose itself tapers when it comes off the flange on the engine. It's a basic hose with a 90 degree elbow.

Thanks everyone for your help!

4btmpg, looks like our builds are quite similar and thanks for your effort. Your buildup thread is good too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I went back to my Adobe Photoshop photo. It is a bigger view on the screen. My guess is E2TA-8B274-1C. E2T would mean 1982 F-series light-duty. 8B274 would me upper radiator hose. 1C would be more specific to vehicle or application. I looked in the garage for the old hose, but couldn't find it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bt4mpg, thanks for the extra effort! Appreciate it.

Any lower hose info, anyone?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I have the upright water outlet and used 2 different hoses and connected them with a piece of tubbing. You cannot see the splice other than the fact it has a hose clamp on each side of it. I do not have the numbers right now but can get them to you if you need.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
deere country:

Yea, that'd be great to have the numbers. Every little bit helps. I have a permanent black rubber mark between my house and the parts stores!

By the way, where in E WY? Send me a private message (I'm not sure how to do that yet) and let me know if you don't mind. Wouldn't mind checking your rig out since it's exactly the same one that I am building!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hope to post several photos and build history on the build thread once I get it completed, which, "hopefully" will be in a few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts