Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't remember if I ever mentioned this here before, but a hot tip hidden:

I repowered my '67 Dodge Town Wagon with a '79 360 LA V8. Radiator lower hose outlet was on the wrong side. I got a piece of 2" galvanized pipe and made a coupling between 2 hoses to make my run. "I'll just do this temporary, to get it running, do something slick later...."

Guess what? Yep, later never came. If it works, don't fix it? Well, that was about 1990, and I pulled the engine in 2006 to 'Ram' a Cummins 4BT in. I was near dumbfounded when I pulled things apart because entire coolant sytem, everything, looked nearly brand new! Not even a hint of rust or corrosion.

Where was the corrosion? Also that was the original waterpump I put on. Some head scratching and a coincidence explained it all. I was a shipwright at one time. Ocean going bluewater boats commonly use a sacrificial zinc anode in the mechanical/electrical system to stop electrolysis, the corrosion caused by all that saltwater. The zinc piece sucks up the bad nasties.

Galvanized pipe is zinc coated! I'll never do another swap without a piece of galvy in the radiator hoses, and now cut existing hoses on all my vehicles to patch a piece of galvy in. Works, cheap, lasts a long time. That's what we like!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the rad in the back of the rock buggy, and ran galv tubing for that and havent had any bad things happen. I do know that not all galv pipe/tubing is galv inside and out. I found tubing that seemed like it had been caped off when it was being galv to produce a cheeper product that only needed protection on the outside. I used to do boiler PMs, and a anode is the lifesaver of the piping/tube bundle. I was told that for it to work the best it needs to be in contact with the metal that you are trying to protect????? truth or myth ;)

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
We used zinc plugs that had a pipe thread at the top and a round solid zinc body that went into the heat exchangers water side. Might be a good idea to install something like this in the spare water jacket ports. Maybe Mcmaster.com sells them?

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More good info thanks! My pipe was galvanized inside & out, but no idea on this chinese junk available now.... Those anodes y'all are talking about are certainly more sophisticated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts