Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using? I know there are different chassis, etc. I think it would nice to get a database going.

A lot of you guys have the top outlet "forward",
but mine is "up".
I need a hose like this one:

The problem I have been having is not the shape,
but the right diameters on each end (too large or too small)

·
Registered
808 Posts
I use;
Top hose, Gates/NAPA 20957
Lower Hose, Gates/NAPA 8115

I have my radiator in/out resized to fit these hoses and then the hoses are also cut to custom lengths. But they may be a starting point for some.

Paul

·
Administrator
4,182 Posts
Paul,

Are those "straight cut hoses", no bends, similar to what is used on farm tractors and generators?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Oh, I'll go ahead and succumb to the "counterman" urge..

Upper hose 20957, that's not a NAPA number, but crosses to a NAPA 7694:

Recommended for Upper, Lower, By-Pass, Heater & Other Coolant Hose Applications. Heat & Ozone Resistant Cover.

I.D.(s):1.75"
Length:18.2"
Equipped with Steel Coil:No

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lower hose, NAPA number 8115:

Recommended for Upper, Lower, By-Pass, Heater & Other Coolant Hose Applications. Heat & Ozone Resistant Cover.

I.D.(s):2.25"
Length:24.4"

I might recommend adding a steel coil in the lower hose just as a precaution against it getting sucked closed.

These your hoses, Paul?

BobS - I don't know if it's the "correct" term, but we always called the hose I think you're talking about "stick hose". Straight, stiff, VERY heavy duty. And I'd be hesitant to use it on the 4BT in an automotive application. It has NO give, and with the 4BT's vibration and shutdown shakes, I'd be afraid it would rip the hose connectors out of the radiator..

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Well, if you have it long enough, it does have enough give to be able to isolate some vibration. Plus, you can get "hump hose" that is similar but has a bump that allows things to flex if you need to allow for "large" movement.

It's just that with our application, you're looking at MUCH shorter runs than those in a semi, so not enough "give" in the hose.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Oh, I'll go ahead and succumb to the "counterman" urge..

Upper hose 20957, that's not a NAPA number, but crosses to a NAPA 7694:

I.D.(s):1.75"
Length:18.2"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lower hose, NAPA number 8115:

I.D.(s):2.25"
Length:24.4"

I might recommend adding a steel coil in the lower hose just as a precaution against it getting sucked closed.

These your hoses, Paul?

BobS - I don't know if it's the "correct" term, but we always called the hose I think you're talking about "stick hose". Straight, stiff, VERY heavy duty. And I'd be hesitant to use it on the 4BT in an automotive application. It has NO give, and with the 4BT's vibration and shutdown shakes, I'd be afraid it would rip the hose connectors out of the radiator..
Yes, that is what I start with, then cut to the lengths required.
Thanks for posting that info.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts