Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting for a while to find a decent Ranger and do a repower on it. I started with the thought of a OM647, but didn't really like that idea much. Then today I thought of the 7.3 PS, and then to the 6.9 IDI. I found one video of a Ranger with a 6.9, but I was wondering if this would be a pretty easy swap. I've heard the 6.9 is about the same size, as a 460. Does anyone have actual dimensions?

I was already planning on a couple inch suspension lift to put large tires, but would I need a body lift also?

Here what I am think I will use, chime in if somthing is not going to work.:
6.9 IDI w/ Holset turbo from a 12v
NV5600 6-speed
Stock rear end (either 3.73 or 4.10)
35" tires
Stock T-case from the NV5600

Should I get decent gas millage? Am I just stupid with this idea? I'm not looking to pull 10,000 lbs, but I want the extra power, sound, smell and rattle of a diesel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the weight difference?

Ed
Iirc the 4.0l v6 is around 530 and the 6.9 is around 960. During winter time, I think that extra 400 up front might help the the frobt end from sliding as much. We allready put around 300 in my dad's '91 Ranger 4x4

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Maybe I can help you some. I've been driving Ford IDI's since 1986. First, don't slap a turbo on one unless it came turbo from the factory. Turbo engines use different pistons and rings. There were add on kits years ago, but most soon found out the rings wore out quickly and had to be replaced. Adding 400 extra lbs onto the ranger front axle may not be that great. Very hard on suspension and bearings. Do you have a source for a NV5600 to Navistar engine adapter. The ZF that Ford used was a better transmission. You could use a ZF S6-650 from a 7.3 that would bolt up without an adapter. The ZF S5-42 or S5-47 could also be used. I wouldn't go lower than a 3.73 gear unless you plan on a lot of towing. I suspect a body lift would be in order, especially to clear those big transmissions. You ask about fuel economy. Just a guess, but you might hit 20 MPG on highway cruising and maybe 15-16 around town. My current truck is a '90 F250 4x4 with a ZF S5-42, 3.55 gear, and stock 31.5" tires. Best fuel economy I've ever had was in the 18-19 MPG range running empty. Fully loaded, which is around 9000 lbs I've got around 15-16 MPG. Have to remember you're feeding a large displacement engine. The Cummins 5.9 is more fuel efficient but also less displacement. The 4bt 3.9 Cummins can have more power than my 7.3 IDI with nearly half the size and of course it will have much better fuel economy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been wanting for a while to find a decent Ranger and do a reposer on it……… I found one video of a Ranger with a 6.9, but I was wondering if this would be a pretty easy swap. I've heard the 6.9 is about the same size, as a 460. Does anyone have actual dimensions?
I don't have actual dimensions, but I looked up a 6.9 / Ranger swap video (I'll assume it's the same one) I know with work, you can "fit" a 460 into a Ranger. You could try to contact the owner of the Ranger thru the video, to get more info, and the video shows that it is possible, so it is doable. As for being an easy swap. It's certainly not going to be a straight bolt in swap. Off the top of my head, you'll probably need to make motor mounts, and be able to brainstorm potential problems that come along, like what to do about, say exhaust manifold to frame clearance. Then theres possible chassis issues to consider. The 6.9 isn't a light engine and that additional weight and torque, could result in an increase in wear and tear on parts such as ball joints, axle shafts, steering, brakes, etc. You might want to consider doing a solid axle swap to gain a larger, stronger axle that can support the combined weight and torque.

I was already planning on a couple inch suspension lift to put large tires, but would I need a body lift also?
A body lift won't hurt. It will help make additional room both under the hood and in the transmission tunnel.

Here what I am think I will use, chime in if something is not going to work.:
6.9 IDI w/ Holset turbo from a 12v
NV5600 6-speed
Stock rear end (either 3.73 or 4.10)
35" tires
Stock T-case from the NV5600
If you're going to run a turbo on a 6.9 IDI, you'll have to crack open the engine and upgrade the pistons. You might be better off without the turbo. The horsepower isn't a lot, but the 315lb-ft of torque it could produce will make it seem really powerful in a light weight truck, like a Ranger.

Forget the stock rear end, it'll be too small and too light. You are probably going to need a larger front axle, get a rear too…especially if you want 35" tires

Should I get decent gas millage? Am I just stupid with this idea? I'm not looking to pull 10,000 lbs, but I want the extra power, sound, smell and rattle of a diesel.
A stock 6.9 IDI will have more power (torque) than any of the V6s used in a Ranger. And yes, it will be louder, smell, and rattle. Fuel economy will depend on how hard you stand on the go pedal. If the engine is in excellent condition, you should see very good economy numbers. It's been reported before that 6.9s get about 16 to 20mpg in a full-size truck. I would guess that you should see better economy than that, in a light Ranger.

Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have actual dimensions, but I looked up a 6.9 / Ranger swap video (I'll assume it's the same one) I know with work, you can "fit" a 460 into a Ranger. You could try to contact the owner of the Ranger thru the video, to get more info, and the video shows that it is possible, so it is doable. As for being an easy swap. It's certainly not going to be a straight bolt in swap. Off the top of my head, you'll probably need to make motor mounts, and be able to brainstorm potential problems that come along, like what to do about, say exhaust manifold to frame clearance. Then theres possible chassis issues to consider. The 6.9 isn't a light engine and that additional weight and torque, could result in an increase in wear and tear on parts such as ball joints, axle shafts, steering, brakes, etc. You might want to consider doing a solid axle swap to gain a larger, stronger axle that can support the combined weight and torque.
It wouldn't be very far off of the weight of a stock ranger motor plus a snow plow which people can and have done. The bigger issue would be 35's on any of the stock ranger axles. The best option being any of the TTB trucks with a D35 up front, even then they are made from glass.

A body lift won't hurt. It will help make additional room both under the hood and in the transmission tunnel.
It would help greatly with the tiny engine bay...

If you're going to run a turbo on a 6.9 IDI, you'll have to crack open the engine and upgrade the pistons. You might be better off without the turbo. The horsepower isn't a lot, but the 315lb-ft of torque it could produce will make it seem really powerful in a light weight truck, like a Ranger.

Forget the stock rear end, it'll be too small and too light. You are probably going to need a larger front axle, get a rear too…especially if you want 35" tires
The stock 28 spline 8.8 would be just fine with the whopping 315lb-ft of torque that motor makes to the crank. That same 8.8 has been pushed to double if not triple that. The front is by far the biggest issue especially with 35's. A 31 spline 8.8 from an explorer is nearly bolt in however and would be a better option for rear axle.

A stock 6.9 IDI will have more power (torque) than any of the V6s used in a Ranger. And yes, it will be louder, smell, and rattle. Fuel economy will depend on how hard you stand on the go pedal. If the engine is in excellent condition, you should see very good economy numbers. It's been reported before that 6.9s get about 16 to 20mpg in a full-size truck. I would guess that you should see better economy than that, in a light Ranger.

Ed
This is about spot on especially the loud, smelly rattles part lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts