Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Ranger thread

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mooktank 
#1 ·
Ok well I'm just doing some research now but I've gone through the forum a bit, found that I'm not the only ranger owner that wishes we had a diesel option. Now I posted on my ranger forum about what kind of diesel engine I should put into my ranger they told me about the engine as its a 4 cylinder and small enough to fit in the engine bay. Now I'm not looking to do a full body off restoration but I am looking to do a nice build up. I have a 1996 Ranger (3.0L 5 speed 4x4) with a 8.8" from an explorer (4.10's, LS, 40,000) the engine has 150,000 while everything else has 40,000 on it because well it all broke. Now I've found out form here that the 8.8" should hold up pretty well as it has 31 spline axles as long as I don't put a ton of power out. With the TTB D35 up front do you think I'd tear that apart if I had like 150-200 HP and whatever torque comes from that. I'm looking to have a nice DD after I'm done. I'm tired of gas engines and I want TORQUE!!!

So here is what I'm asking, will the D35 be destroyed, what are the specs on a stock cummins 4bt engine and what performance can I do, what power is right for my needs and wants and what do you think I should do in order to get this started.

#4 ·
IMO your axles will be fine. I wouldn't know because I over built the hell out of mine. I boxed the entire frame and turned the thing into a tank pretty much. My next project I think will be to take this one apart and put the engine in a 95 explorer. From looking at my dad's 99 ranger it looks like it will need a 3" body lift and even with that I'm not positive about clearing the front diff.

Good luck I'll be posting a buildup thread as soon as I buy a new vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.