Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im stuck between keeping my np435 and putting an advanced adapters torque splitter on it or switching to a zf 5 speed.
I really like my 4 speed and think it would be fun to have a gear selection of 8 foreward gears and two reverse gears but my issues are first
how do I move my trans mount back when my radius arms are bolted to it? With an eight inch lift will shortining my rear driveshaft 7 inches bind things up?
and Im afraid it will add "slop" to my driveline. any input on the issue is VERY appreciated. by the way the vehicle is a 78 f150 with a 4bt, np435 trans, np205 transfer case and 3.50 gears

·
Registered
314 Posts
You posted this on the wrong forum so it will provably get moved, JFYI.
I have a ranger splitter with My sm465 and it does help, especially with My step van weighing 10k lbs. Now for the 8 forward gears, it depends on what You do, I hardly ever use low gear most times come out with 1st then 2nd then 2nd OD then 3rd and 3rd OD.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just came across your post as to a ranger or a zf I had the same dillema and did as much research as I could. I read all the sites where people have lots of opionions and I finally just did what I allways do,I did what I wanted to do, I opted for more gears I dont think more gears is a bad way to go ever. I drive a 01 dodge with a 6 speed and a gearvendor and I really like the fact that the gearvendor allows me to use gears that don't get used very often and still maintain decent speeds,for instance I can tow in 5th which is a direct gear not overdrive and do 68 mph at about 1900 rpm's perfect. I have a 76 ford 4x4 3/4 ton that I put a 4bt into with a 435 trany and it was just to slow with stock gears,410's,so I had your same issues. I put a ranger splitter in it and it has made the truck not only more fun but allot more usefull. I split all my gears and love the splits,it was easy to install and if it holds up was way worth the money and effort. I like gears more than big horsepower so I guess I'm alittle old fashioned but I'm a little old too. I'm the guy who bought the 47 Ford with the 10 speed eaton fuller trans that was on this site and many others and am in the prosses of redoing the truck from the frame up, so as you can tell I like gears lots of em,you don't have to use them but it's nice to know that you have em. good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input I think I am going to go with the torque splitter it does seem more fun and I like my np435.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts