Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to this forum, Lot's of great info on here. I've been in the 6bt scene for a while now but im looking for a little fuel economy. Im fixing to get motivated on about a 98 ranger 4bt swap. This will be an extended cab 2wd. ive always been a standard tranny lover, but with wife now wanting to drive projects, so it should probably be an auto. i know the 350 and 400 turbo's work well with the adapter plate from the bread truck, but i would really like an overdrive transmission.
Ive searched a little in the forums but i really havn't came up with a solution. i really dont want a body lift on the truck, no offense to anyone with a body lift, just not my cup of tea. keep in mind the power level will be around 200 at first, then we could get a little wild, thinkin bout an hy35 over s3 with a 64 inducer or something later on. Im not opposed to an electronic controled tranny with a stand-alone controller. but id like to be able to switch from a rotary pump to a p series as i grow with this project. keep in mind that im not the nicest person to a tranny, it will get beat on, and i tear stuff up.
Ive kinda been looking at the 700r4 ive played with these in gassers before, but could it be built to handle the torque of a 4bt? the 700r4 kinda has a smaller case and the overdrive is nice.

so my criteria: small transmission that i can shove in without to much trans tunnel mods.
overdrive
availability of adapter late and flywheel
Speedometer
torque rating
cost effectivness

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Pft, I'd tell her learn to drive stick or too bad. :D

For an auto, I'd look for a 4BT with a Ford adapter and run a 4R70W. Should hook up easily since it was used in the Explorer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts