Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of a 4bt swap lately. I currently own a 1997 ford ranger 4x4 with a 5 speed. I would like to put a d44 up front to get rid of the twin i-beam junk and a rear end from an explorer with discs out back. I was just wondering if there is a way to retain my 5 speed tranny? or would it be just as easy to find a nv4500 to stick behind it? has anyone done a swap like this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
You just described my truck to the t.....kinda creepy actually. You'll need to upgrade the tranny as the M50d -r1 in it won't handle the torque of the diesel engine. Swap in a Zf from an 88' or later small block 3/4 or 1 ton, that way your slave lines all bolt right up, and you can get an adpater to run your factory t case as well.

-andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow! Im suprised there is someone out there doing the same thing. Will the t-case be able to handle the torque and hp of a slightly built up 4bt? What are you using for a front axle and did you fab up your own mounts for the leafs and whatnot?

·
Registered
41 Posts
From what I've been told it should, as long as your not going to be towing 12k lb trailers all day long. I'm using an early bronco dana 44 and using all factory radius arms and mounts. Using 78-79' radius arm mounts gives around a 4" lower mount point letting me lift the truck higher without need for a higher degree bushing. I'm gonna be running 7" skyjacker early bronco coils with 7* bushings.

-andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts