Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted the Scout 2009 in june. Actually went to the effort to of using a primer after sanding. Upscale! The paint is mil-spec "earth-red" flat. The strips are accidentally on purpose. I started painting outdoors under the shade of a tree in the after noon. So by accident I created the stripes because of the heat and dry weather, +100 F and low humidity.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
gotta love the rattle can jobs...i did my entire m-1010 with a case of rattle can olive drab from canadian tire (krylon),about 6 years ago now...a consistant coat and maintaining a wet edge is practically impossible with the limited spray volume from a rattle can.

maybe mist your stripes with flat black...you can name it the "red tiger"!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
That looks great. Ready for safari.
Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually like the look, but that is just me. The black accent idea sounds good as well. On a side note, you spend some money on your grass based where you are at! Im in east Mesa, but guessing you are out west or up north. Its getting toasty to be doing much outside on the vehicles now.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually like the look, but that is just me. The black accent idea sounds good as well. On a side note, you spend some money on your grass based where you are at! Im in east Mesa, but guessing you are out west or up north. Its getting toasty to be doing much outside on the vehicles now.
Just south on Gilbert exit from the 101. The yard is irrigated via SRP.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not bad at all, I once saw a '65 Mustang with a flat black rattle can paint at a car show. It amazingly looked okay:lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
Good work. There's nothing stopping you from getting a finish as good as spray gun with rattle cans. But your fingers can get a real ache holding down the nozzle. You can buy hand-held trigger adapters which make the job a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good work. There's nothing stopping you from getting a finish as good as spray gun with rattle cans. But your fingers can get a real ache holding down the nozzle. You can buy hand-held trigger adapters which make the job a lot easier.
I tried one of those hand held trigger adapters, all they had were flimsy plastic and didn't work with the rattle can i was using. Oh well got it done any ways, sore fingers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I remember reading a while back about a 69 camaro that was painted with industrial enamel and a roller winning a car show. The guy did it to make a point and made it. He rolled a coat of paint on the car, wetsanded it flat and repeated the process about 5 times. When he was done he buffed the crap out of it and it shined like new money. He kept a very accurate picture log to show his progress. I saw the car at the good guys car show in Nashville, tn. It looked very nice. No one believed that it was home depot industrial enamel. Goes to show that with proper application and finishing, you can make any kind of paint look great. There was a follow up article on that car in Car Craft magazine (IIRC) about 4 years after he did it and it looked the same. If it got a little dull, he buffed it out to a new finish. Something to think about before paying abody shop to apply that 3k paint job that you want so much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used it on a lot of the interior of my Autocar. Dash,door access panels,seat frames,steering column and the heater box. I like the look. It makes stuff look old.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Many years ago I built a little LUV truck bed trailer ..It was orange and then I put a Blue camper top on it. I drug it hunting in New Mexico 3 times. But after the 1st time .. I camo it with Krylon paint . But now about 15 or 20 years later the truck bed has returned back to mostly Orange.
... But for about the 1st 3 years or so it looked good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like it. For a truck that will sometimes be in the woods, I don't see a reason to do anything else.

I have rattle canned 10 or more camo vehicles. It's cheap, easy, hides a lot of ugly and gives you an endless supply of touch up. Maybe I need to come up with a new color scheme...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts