Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1973 1T Chevy 453T, need advice and thoughts on a old conversion has AT543 trans and B & over drive. The drivetrain came from a 2T GMC 75 stake bed work truck. The truck is brutally heavy with the entire original drivetrain but has held up for 30 years pulling pretty serious bumper trailers. Has a 2" body lift to accommodate the Detroit. For the record I did not build this truck, it was done in the early 80's by an engineer that worked for Lockheed. I hate the body lift and would love to get the truck back down and even lower. I have kicked around the idea of scraping the body and throwing on a 30's Chevy P/U body and bed. I am thinking about re-gearing the rear and adding a posi. I am not a Diesel mechanic and no expert, I am a Helicopter mechanic and a dumb aviator so bare with me on my ignorance.

I have pictures for guys that are working on their projects, some thoughts...trial and error. I am in the process of redoing the entire fuel system and rewiring. The old truck just needs some love she has worked hard for many years she earned it. Engine Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Truck Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive engine part

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the bed off and started gutting out the plumbing, holy hell what a mess...I have never seen so many 1/2 clamps. As I am down here taking oral/nasel fuel samples I start to think about the angle of the drive line on the old girl and wonder if the geometry may be off. I could plasma the leave springs off and change the entire angle, without compromising the load integrity too much. Any thought of suggestions?

Secondly, as I snoop around this forum I find more and more amazing trucks like Bucks and Griggs and it makes me want to scrap the bed and cab and find a donor truck and put this down in the weeds. Damming I wish I never found this place...!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself for finding the best forum for conversion enthusiasts! With the running gear you have, you can add any sheet metal that you like. And perhaps your neighbor............Mr. Ed Pruss can add his overview and maybe even trade some parts. Looks like somebody added the turbo hardware to a naturally aspirated engine . Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i got a better thing for you. i will take the truck and then you can start with something fresh lol. it looks like the big thing is you want is down where it should be. if it is just a body lift you maybe able to change the turbo piping around and it may go like you want. worth a look

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The bottom line on driveshaft angles is: all engines hooked to transmissions, aux. transmissions, diffs.(in loaded condition) want to be parallel, whatever that is; 3 to 5 degrees down at the rear is good to aim for. Driveshaft angles will vary.

Probably stuck w/ body lift because of height of engine, unless wish to raise center of hood only(hood scoop).

If one puts an older cab on it, watch for front wheel width, many older cabs are narrower, AD, and earlier.

Lurk here for a while, lots of good ideas, before one does anything, consider type of use and typ. loads, trip length, bodies carried, don't rush into anything.

Might save some hood clearance by adding I'cooler, plumb on side of engine.

'37 GMC in build section.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't be too hard on yourself for finding the best forum for conversion enthusiasts! With the running gear you have, you can add any sheet metal that you like. And perhaps your neighbor............Mr. Ed Pruss can add his overview and maybe even trade some parts. Looks like somebody added the turbo hardware to a naturally aspirated engine . Welcome to the group.
That's right, someone added the turbo. It is a 1973 453N motor in its original life. I don't know I the internals were upgraded when the turbo was added either. Don't know Mr. Ed Pruss but sounds like I should. How do I find him?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so I took some more pictures and added them to Picassa, hope this works I am not computer savvy.

my question is does anyone know anything about this overdrive? it is cast iron and has the marking "B & OVER RIVE" on it not a typo Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Family car

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
post the link to picasa .... I'd love to see more pics of that overdrive!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Not sure, doesn't look familiar, many people made OD's, out of business, so take it apart, make sure all bearings, etc. are OK, use it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried to add a link to my Picassa but this forum said I was too junior...so I need to make more posts in order to gain street credit I guess. I will add link as soon as I am allowed. Ed I am going to use it, ill drop it out and let you know what it ends up looking like on the inside. Id like make a Servo actuated or by air shifter for the OD, the old cable assembly is very tired and in a bad location. just thoughts....if that doesn't seem doable i'll make a linkage shifter and ditch the cable works completely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
boothybunch (Jim)

I send you the pictures but in the subject I put 1980 1T project, different project sorry yesterday at the solvent tank I think I drank some.

I have a question for the masses, I am sure this maybe one that i get slaughtered for. Is the a simple static test for the injectors on the 453? I am having a start issue and trying to isolate the problem. I am ready to burn the truck to the ground.

thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
boothybunch (Jim)

I send you the pictures but in the subject I put 1980 1T project, different project sorry yesterday at the solvent tank I think I drank some.

I have a question for the masses, I am sure this maybe one that i get slaughtered for. Is the a simple static test for the injectors on the 453? I am having a start issue and trying to isolate the problem. I am ready to burn the truck to the ground.

thanks for all the help
Here are the pics

1 - 20 of 54 Posts