Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've picked up a 4bt over here in Australia and want to swap to a rear bowl sump and dipstick to suit the vehicle better its in etc
It's an 85 vintage engine that originally had centre drain pan from an airport baggage tug, but the previous owner custom modified the sump to clear front diff but clearance is going to be too tight when I install adjustable panhards to centre the diff again. He'd had new hx30 or 35 turbo installed, a new set of 6bt injectors, recon VE pump and 3200 govenor springs and actually drives real nice so just tidying up a few things.

Can anyone tell me if all 4bt sumps are the same across year models?
Does it matter for buying genuine vs aftermarket vs 2nd hand?
4bt parts and info are not common and alot harder to come by in Australia so looking for some good suppliers at a reasonable cost that can freight world wide.
Appreciate any info at all ;)
Brighty

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
All standard 4b and 4bt engines use the same type oil pans. The center sump type which your engine has is common on industrial application engines but does not work well for a road use application due to clearance issues. All the pans contain the same amount of oil so no worries there. The front or rear sump oil pans are the same unit as they are reversible. The pan itself is Cummins part 3901049. you will need the rear sump oil pickup unit which is part 3905206. You will need 2 gaskets, the oil pan gasket is part 3931602 and one for the pickup tube which is 3931349. To relocate the dip stick, you will need to remove the part from the block skirt. That part is pressed in so it is tight. If you're careful, it can be knocked out from the bottom and the gauge part reused. You will need a small expansion plug to fill that hole which is part 3900955. You'll knock the plug out of the rear port in the block and reinstall the dip stick assembly. Which dip stick style do you have? There are several styles and one of them is for front use only. The others can be used in front or rear positions. Below are a couple of photos. The first shows a common rear sump dipstick assembly which we often see on road engines. The second is a photo of an engine with the short dipstick which is common on industrial engines. On that one the owner relocated the stick to the rear and decided just to cap off the old front gauge tube and not remove it. If you want to go that route I can provide you with the proper part numbers for a new gauge. On your question on the parts, whether you get used parts or new aftermarket parts usually doesn't matter as long as they are in good condition. New parts from a Cummins dealer can be fairly expensive, especially in the land down under. Parts such as the oil pickup assembly can be bought out of China for a fraction of what one costs from a Cummins store. Of course with this virus mess going on overseas availability can be iffy. One caution. The bolts that hold the oil pan to the block may be of 2 different lengths. On some engines the 2 rear bolts that go into the rear crank seal retainer may be 1mm shorter. On some engines the regular pan bolts are 21mm and those 2 are 20mm. On other engines they may all be 20mm. Not sure whose bright idea it was to use those 21mm bolts which are a Cummins only part but you don't want to mix them if you have them. That extra 1mm can crack the crank seal retainer. If you need any other info just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Char.
My current dipstick is about the same length as the one shown in the photo but in the forward position. I'd likely just cap off just as in the photo as well for sake of ease.
Do you have any good suppliers for sumps and the dipstick parts?
Cheers,
Brighty

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
The oil dipstick gauge, the little tube that is inserted into the block skirt, is Cummins part 3279104. Those are around $20-25 here in the US. Might do a search on ebay and find one that would ship to Australia. The ones coming out of China would probably do that. Same goes for the oil pickup unit which is like $40 out of China and oil pan around $170. The reason I mention the Chinese parts is they still build the 4bt there and they may ship to your country. An alternate source might be Case industrial equipment like backhoes and skid steers. Many of those used the 4bt engine. If you want to check that route out, take the Cummins part number that begins with the number "3" and change that to the letter "J" and you have the old Case number. Won't swear about the prices. Sometimes Case is cheaper and sometimes not. The gaskets can be found aftermarket. The old Chevy P30 delivery vans came with the 4bt. Some auto parts stores may show listings for those. Not sure what parts stores you have down there. We used to have a member down your way who worked for Cummins but can't remember his name.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The oil dipstick gauge, the little tube that is inserted into the block skirt, is Cummins part 3279104. Those are around $20-25 here in the US. Might do a search on ebay and find one that would ship to Australia. The ones coming out of China would probably do that. Same goes for the oil pickup unit which is like $40 out of China and oil pan around $170. The reason I mention the Chinese parts is they still build the 4bt there and they may ship to your country. An alternate source might be Case industrial equipment like backhoes and skid steers. Many of those used the 4bt engine. If you want to check that route out, take the Cummins part number that begins with the number "3" and change that to the letter "J" and you have the old Case number. Won't swear about the prices. Sometimes Case is cheaper and sometimes not. The gaskets can be found aftermarket. The old Chevy P30 delivery vans came with the 4bt. Some auto parts stores may show listings for those. Not sure what parts stores you have down there. We used to have a member down your way who worked for Cummins but can't remember his name.
Thanks Char.
My current dipstick is about the same length as the one shown in the photo but in the forward position. I'd likely just cap off just as in the photo as well for sake of ease.
Do you have any good suppliers for sumps and the dipstick parts?
Cheers,
Brighty
When I changed my sump of my 4bt I found a machinery wrecker that had a Case 1380 skid steer (bobcat ) it had the 4b with the sump with bowl to the rear which give the correct oil pick up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts