Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I put mine in wet, on my 4bt and 6bt and they are fine. I know cummins says to put them in dry, but I just couldn't do it!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I put mine in wet, on my 4bt and 6bt and they are fine. I know cummins says to put them in dry, but I just couldn't do it!
The seal goes on dry and for this reason is because the seals have a thin coat of theflon and when the crank spins the seal to crank has been bonded together..If you apply them wet than the theflon won't make the bond with the crank.

Do what you like but this is the way it needs to be done .

Scott

·
Registered
228 Posts
OK, but both mine work fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
DRY! Stick with what Cummins tells ya.

·
Registered
228 Posts
No way, I like em wet.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
The last front seal that I installed was purchased from Cummins and was embossed on the seal with: INSTALL DRY The local Cummins authorized shop also recommends cleaning the crankshaft with ether to remove all residual oil. They have done hundreds of them without any failure.

·
Banned
427 Posts
live and learn install em dry, dont even touch the sealing surface with your fingers........ been installing em dry for 30+ yrs
bob

·
Registered
393 Posts
A couple more questions...

I am going to install my new seal tomorrow. I understand that it gets installed on the crank 'dry'. I have a few questions....1-Do I put thread locker on the out surface of the seal and the housing surface?? 2- I am guessing that I press the seal into the outside of the housing, and when I do does the seal sit flush with the outside of the housing, or do I push it until the metal install tool sits flush with the housing?? 3- Do I need to use some sealer on the housing to block gasket??

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
On the front cover I use right stuff .The metal part of the seal per Cummins says to use thread locker ,the seal is tight to the cover and if you have a good seals it should have a seal installer which sets the depth of the seal in the cover.The seal gets pushed out the same way it went it.The cover has to be off.

Scott

·
Registered
393 Posts
So, the 'mushroomed' edge of the install tool should sit flush with the outside of the seal housing? and the seal will then be pushed into the housing 1/4" or so? The only reason I am so confused, is that the original seal was flush with the outside of the housing. I don't want to mess it up.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
The detailed & illustrated instructions start on page 7-108 of the service manual.
The most important part of installing the front seal is keeping it square in the bore of the front cover.

·
Registered
120 Posts
poolmike you are doing a rear seal correct? I just noticed that BobS and CrewCab59 have been talking about the front seal. I don't remember offhand if there's much difference in the install between the 2 or not just thought I'd mention that he's doing a rear and not a front.

·
Registered
393 Posts
poolmike you are doing a rear seal correct? I just noticed that BobS and CrewCab59 have been talking about the front seal. I don't remember offhand if there's much difference in the install between the 2 or not just thought I'd mention that he's doing a rear and not a front.

I was talking about the rear seal. I don't think there is much difference between the two. The seal is installed.

I purchased the Fel-Pro seal at NAPA for $44.95

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is there any special way to install the seal, or just gently tap it in moving around perimeter? Also, does it use the same seal as the 6BT (for ease of locating one at parts store, all years same?)?

I figure I may as well throw in a new rear main seal before bolting drivetrain together.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Is there any special way to install the seal, or just gently tap it in moving around perimeter? Also, does it use the same seal as the 6BT (for ease of locating one at parts store, all years same?)?

I figure I may as well throw in a new rear main seal before bolting drivetrain together.

Thanks,
John
Your rear seal should come with a seal install ring that sets the depth of the seal into the rear seal housing.The seal is the same on the 3.9 and 5.9 .

Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts