Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking for a 4BT to put into my toyota. But one of my main concerns is how reliable one from these thrashed step vans will be without a rebuilt motor. I know you can get a van that the 4bt was rebuilt already, but not all. I have found several 4bts that are high milage/never been rebuilt motors.
Im trying to create a very reliable rig and wont a strong/long lasting motor. Ive seen rebuild kits on Ebay and "Mr. Diesel Parts Warehouse." Has anybody ever used these kits, if so how well do they work? And most importantly, how easy or how hard is it to do it your self? Heres the Ebay link... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cummins-4BT-4BTA3-9-Engine-Out-of-Frame-Overhaul-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33620QQihZ011QQitemZ320053967089QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Are there any other rebuild kits out there? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not all step vans had "thrashed" motors. Many I have seen have newer motors (under 75,000) before the company pulled the van from service. When a repower was done, often the speedo was reset to zero and and new title certificate issued.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thats good to know, but..

lets say i decide to get one that needs rebuilt, one that is sitting outside and hasnt been run in awhile and NEEDS rebuilding, How hard or easy is it?

·
Registered
329 Posts
thats where my knowledge starts running aground. Just wanted to make sure you were counting pn all motors needing rebuilds. Someone should pipe up here about rebuilding.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I just got done tearing mine down, it's a pretty simple engine but you want to have the shop manual for it. If you've done other engines it's a pretty straight forward, I can't see where I'll have any problems putting at back together after the machine work is done, just make sure all the clearances are correct. Rebuilding the injector pump is a little more difficult.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts