Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie to this forum would someone with infinite patience help me out? I have the chance to get a big diesel bread truck but I don't think it's a 4bt engine.Here's why: single valve cover,turbo located high,and a round circular plate bolted to the left front of the block facing it. What is this 4 cylinder turbo diesel and should I avoid it as a donor for my conversion?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
If you could get pictures or the CPL off the data tag (if it's a Cummins...) and post 'em here, someone should be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
...single valve cover,turbo located high,and a round circular plate bolted to the left front of the block facing it....
Reads like a White/Hercules 3.7. If it's painted blue and has no intercooler, pass on it. If painted red(IC or not) it may be a series II Herc(I can help ID). If so, consider it for what it is: an engine made by a defunct company, an engine which is not as robust as the readily available 4BT, an engine with parts availability drying up, outside the M.A.R.S. folks who will reman one after which in comparison a 4BT would no longer be more expensive.

For a smaller/lighter vehicle like a CJ or similar it wouldn't be a bad choice, reported to be 125 lb lighter than 4BT. If series II(red paint and if IC it's Series II for sure)), it's a good engine that will last and make good power. If series I, it will not make 4BT levels of power and live. A series I is comparable to a 4B power wise, even though it is turbo'd.

Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts