Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 early bronco and i just got a zf5 big block. im not sure what type of flywheel and clutch i should get any recommendations?

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
If you have the 460 ZF you'll need a custom adapter plate to fit it to a Cummins, a Ford 6.0 diesel starter, a NV4500 flywheel fitted with a new pilot bearing for the ZF, and a Ford style clutch matched to the flywheel. There are several companies that have the clutch/flywheel set up. Valair is one I sourced from. Southbend is another. There are also several companies that make the adapter. Destroked is the most famous. All totaled, you're probably looking at $1600-2000 in parts. The one I have is to fit to a 7.3 diesel ZF, but the requirements for the big block are the same, just a different adapter.

·
Vendor
2,646 Posts
Ditch it for a zf from a 302/351W. Easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
There is no gearing difference on the gas ZF models, big or small block. The main difference other than the bellhousing is the big block has an external slave cylinder and the small block is internal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The big block has a larger input shaft and a larger diameter clutch.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
The Ford ZF 4wd transmissions have 31 spline output shafts. I'm thinking the Dana 20 is a 28 spline which wouldn't fit. Need to check with one of our Bronco guys. The NP205 can be bolted up but not sure about the Dana 20. Member Redhedbronco should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i just was wondering about the mounting on the rear. the adapter kit includes an output shaft.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
I'm sure Advanced Adapters probably has and adapter to mate the 31 spline output of the later transmissions to the Dana 20.

·
Vendor
2,646 Posts
Why not just use the 205? Stronger and much cheaper, unless youve already purchased a kit. I would add support for either tho. Have heard issues of zf t case mount failures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts