Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 4b none turbo in a case skidsteer I want to add a bypass to and leave original filter where it is. I need help on where to plumb it into the engine at. Both ports on top of the filter housing are plugged. Are those both after the filter? Can they be used as send and return ports? If not where is a good return port? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK, adding a bypass should be no problem. First you need to pick out which bypass filter you want to use. If it's one of the big Cummins units like in my write up, you'll need a Cummins or other mount for that style. There are numerous aftermarket filters that will fit more normal mounts. A Baldwin OB1308 mount should fit the large type Cummins filters like I used. Once you have the filter and mount, the rest is plumbing. There are two oil feed ports on the injector pump side. One probably is being used by the oil pressure port and the other is plugged. Those ports are M10 x 1.0 O ring, but a 1/8" NPT will also fit. There may also be a port on the oil filter side of the engine on the filter mount that is plugged. Lots may depend on where you wish to place the filter. Where to put the return line is your call. You could drill and install a return to the oil pan. Since your engine is not turbo, that return port is plugged on the block. You could get a turbo drain pipe for that hole and fit the return there if you wish. You could add a drain to one of the valve covers which would be very easy. Where the drain goes is your call. And of course the rest is hoses. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the filter. It's a filtakleen model. It'll be mounted outside the engine compartment and above the engine height. I'm thinking easiest supply would be plug on top of factory filter. Drain is what Im unsure of. I want to use the turbo port. I'm not sure which one it is. Do you have a picture? Also, is it just a threaded npt hole with a plug, or will I need a part from Cummins to tie into it? I wanted to use the heater plug on pan. I was told cummins recommend not draining below oil level in pan. I understand that on the turbo. Does it matter on a filter? One last thing if I use a valve cover does it matter which one?Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Basically you're just looking at plumbing. A bypass filter flows at a much slower rate than a regular oil filter. Adding a drain port to one of the valve covers would be simple. Just a matter of boring a hole and adding a fitting. To use the turbo drain port will require a bit more work. That port is not threaded but smooth. The turbo drain tube that fits in there has a series of O rings to seal it. If you could pick up an old turbo drain pipe and weld a fitting in the end it should work fine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for sharing all the information. You obviously spent a lot of time researching part numbers and prices. I to buy American whenever I can but I've got a relocation plate coming from China. Hope mine looks as good as the one you got. VERY HELPFULL!!

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Glad you got that. Things have gotten cheaper as the regulator valve assembly was not included with the one I got. Those parts were around $40 from Cummins. Now you can decide on the other parts. The hoses and fittings were the expensive stuff. I know I could have saved some buy going overseas but this sort of ceased being a budget project.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Char, did you ever get all this installed? Just curious on a follow up or some pics if you got around to it. Lots of talk on the remote plates but seems not much after that.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
69c10, I don't have anything to install it on yet. Sort of doing the special items prior to an engine. Those remote plates have been around about as long as the engines. They just didn't get much attention in the early days because they were so expensive. The piece that you can now get from China in the $70 range used to be $300-400 from Cummins. Sort of limited the interest in them. Even now the whole setup may run in the $300-400 range or more. The expensive part can be the hoses and fittings if you use good stuff. Another item that I had some thoughts on was a full blown dry sump system. Not that hard to do, just darn expensive. Still haven't won the lottery yet. LOL.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Steve, those photos look very nice. One point of interest. The oil filter on the original Cummins 4bt application was on the opposite side of the engine. Hoses snaked under the oil pan and filter was mounted on that side. From my research, that was done so oil and fuel filters could both be accessed easily from that side of the engine. It was an industrial application where the turbo side of the engine was against a bulkhead in the machine and not easily accessed. Would have been perfect for you guys in the "Land Down Under".

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Have enough room set up as it is, Very tight with the steering box, radiator hose connection and heater connection in that bottom corner.
Still have to fit the air cleaner in that corner.
The inner fender/splash guard is in for some serious modifying to clear everything.
Finally getting close to having this on the road.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
3282285 Oil Filter Head (Fleetguard # HH6983)
Does anyone have a source for these, going to order the remote plate and like the sounds of this filter head.
Not much to be found on the webs, some old Ebay ones from years ago.

·
Administrator
4,179 Posts

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
21 - 40 of 49 Posts