Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Crazy petroil is half the price, hopefully they’re legit, ordering tomorrow AM. On the oil filter plate, think it’s best to buy a new oil pressure regulator assembly, or clean up the old one and toss it in the the remote mount plate?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just to update this incase anyone has a hard time finding the fleet guard filter head, my unit showed up after 8 weeks from Petroil. $50 seems decent. Not sure I really like how the bypass is setup in it with the little clips, but I know those style retainers are hard to remove.

99E2B471-1E43-4F89-A9C6-CE2CC9E7D9A3.jpg
BC8CED8E-5295-4069-8F37-9592F0322215.jpg
97232E73-1B42-4264-9E1D-0B783B03F72E.jpg
FC047624-3979-48B2-ACC2-E27D392F076E.jpg

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
That bypass is a valve. The original Cummins adapter plate had no provision for a filter bypass in case of a clogged filter. If one changes the oil responsibly, that thing should never come into play. When I built the dual filter system I didn't even consider having one. There is the pressure relief valve on the adapter plate and the odds of 2 clogged filters would be extremely remote. If that happened you've probably got worse issues.

·
Registered
125 Posts
the price on the engine plate is down to 60$ :)

thanx for the tech!

·
Registered
784 Posts
That bypass is a valve. The original Cummins adapter plate had no provision for a filter bypass in case of a clogged filter. If one changes the oil responsibly, that thing should never come into play. When I built the dual filter system I didn't even consider having one. There is the pressure relief valve on the adapter plate and the odds of 2 clogged filters would be extremely remote. If that happened you've probably got worse issues.
It is also for when oil is too cold and thick to pass through a filter on a sub zero morning. It is possible to destroy the element and contaminate the engine without one.
If you are bypassing at the pressure relief and not passing through the filter you are starving the engine for oil.
Every remote filter setup I have seen from Cummins uses a filter bypass in the head.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Not sure that any modern oil would be that thick even in sub zero temps. If you use a good filter they have fairly high ratings. I believe Cummins states theirs are go to at least 120 PSI. Have never heard of anyone getting that high unless the lines are totally clogged. The remote filter plate still has a pressure regulator valve which is factory set at 65 PSI. The bypass valve at the filter is just in case of a totally stopped up filter. Some folks with the industrial application may have been a bit lax in changing filters. Of course running dirty oil through the systems isn't all that great either. Hard on bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Would have to go dig out the paperwork but the filter head I used has a bypass valve built in.
Additionally most filters these days have a built in bypass feature. Cut one open and you will see spring setup inside. The bypass rating is provided in the filter spec's
I am using a Baldwin B262 which has a 30 PSI bypass.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just saying that sense Cummins specs a filter head with a bypass that is what I would use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A cheaper source for the bolts needed to put the oil cover on on your motor is Bel-metric. I have been using as a replacement source for the 12 point bolts I like to use.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts