Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Starting to wrap up my 4bt swap into my 1996 f150. I recently converted to the f-series hydro boost from a 1994 f450. the powersteering pump that I am running has a remote reservoir. Does anyone know a remote reservoir that has 2 return ports and one supply? The only one I found it 175$ was looking to hit a junk yard for a used one.
Also radiator overflow reservoir, is there a universal one people are using? Any suggestions for a used one? If anyone has any info that would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Question. Does the reservoir on the back of the pump have a return port? Often, the return from the steering gear returned to that port and the return from the hydroboost went to the remote reservoir. There were numerous vehicles that used the remote reservoir besides the P pump 4bt. The Chevy Astro van and the GM version that had hydroboost used one. Some of the early Chevy/GM 1 ton trucks with the 6.2 or 6.5 diesel also had them. Also on the big block Chevelle from the mid 1960's. Lots of foreign cars have the remote reservoir but theirs are usually plastic. Here's a photo of an original Astro unit. The second photo is one available on ebay which you do not want. Notice on that one it has the returns at the bottom and the supply port at the top. Engineer must have been on a 2 day hangover when that one was built. I've seen the $175 units and they are super nice if you're building a show car. Even the Moroso unit is only about $138. You might pick up an Astro unit for $20-30 or less.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Late 80's 1 ton GM trucks with 454's also had remote metal PS reservoirs.
80's to 90's (for sure, maybe later - dunno) Toyota 4x4's use a metal remote PS reservoir.
Strip one of those and silver-solder a second return port onto it, or add a second return to the hose connecting the reservoir to the pump using a big 'T'.

My '70 Bronco with H-B doesn't have a remote reservoir, has only one return port, and uses a 'T' in the return lines. The key appears to be that both returns come into the 'T' on a branch (facing each other) and the reservoir port is on the leg of the 'T'. Works fine, but I have read of a 'T' not working fine. What don't know is how those that didn't work fine were plumbed. I suspect not as I described above.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought one off eBay and the guy customized it for me. Two ports are in line with each other, and one is coming off the bottom. I think it was 90 shipped. Has a diffuser in the bottom too.
64940430-D655-4705-AAC0-371387D79299.jpeg

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Would be hard to make just one of that quality for that price........

·
Registered
50 Posts
I made the tooling to spin a funnel-ish shaped bottom and a flat top to use a piece out of a of bent AL irrigation tube for the body. Made some parts, but never built the reservoir. Pretty sure that I still have that tooling.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
As others have mentioned, just install a tee in the primary return. Otherwise, as others have also mentioned, the remote reservoir used on 80's GM trucks with hydroboosts (6.2 diesel or 454) should work for you.

The PSC unit for $175 is nice and has a filter in it, which is a good thing. OTOH, if you need a reservoir that holds a half gallon of PS fluid....

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
You do not want to put a T in a return line from a hydroboost unit. It can cause the brakes to hang up. Ford discovered that back in the early days when they started offering hydroboost on some vehicles. You are best using 2 independent return lines. Below is a photo of the P7100 power steering pump. It has a single return line on the pump reservoir for the steering gear and the return from the hydroboost was on the remote reservoir like the Chevy Astro.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So looking at my ps pump I have 2 ports supply and return. I thought about putting a “T” fitting in but I read with older fords it causes issues in braking like char1355 commented.

Torchwork , did you message the supplier to add another return port to yours because that seem like a good route if that is the case.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
You could add a second return onto the pump can if you wanted. There were GM models that came that way. Below is a photo of a 1984 GM C20 unit with dual returns. I sort of think the single returns can be a bit neater. You'd have a short hose from the steering gear to the one on the pump and a short hose from the hydroboost to the remote can. Either way will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the seller on eBay is able to add a second port I think I might do that route. Rather than getting a new pump.
What are your guys suggestions for a radiator coolant tank?

·
Registered
50 Posts
You do not want to put a T in a return line from a hydroboost unit. It can cause the brakes to hang up. Ford discovered that back in the early days when they started offering hydroboost on some vehicles. You are best using 2 independent return lines. Below is a photo of the P7100 power steering pump. It has a single return line on the pump reservoir for the steering gear and the return from the hydroboost was on the remote reservoir like the Chevy Astro.
I'll agree that a reservoir with more than one return is the better idea, but my Saginaw pump with one return that is T'd with the H-B returning to one branch of the T and the PS box returning to the other branch of the T has been working well for nearly a decade. Far from ideal, but plumbed this way (only?) it does work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I ended up contacting the company on eBay that makes them and had one made with two returns and 1/2” bigger for 115$ it seems to look like nice quality. Now I just need fittings and lines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts