Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a truck that had belonged to a business and they had applied stick on lettering, individual letters, on both doors, the fenders and the front bumper. Some of the lettering has been peeled off for quite some time but the glue was not cleaned off and over time has collected dirt and grime. How do I get rid of the glue residue? I have tried WD 40, a sharp razor, and mineral spirits. After much scrubbing, cussing, and scraping, and some paint gouging, I got most of it off of one door, but you can still see the "ghost" of the letters, any suggestions? I do plan on giving it a sanding, priming and a poor boy paint job. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Depends on the adhesive, have used contact cleaner, carb cleaner , degreaser. Could even try brake cleaner.
For lettering left on there try a heat gun (hair dryer ) to heat before attempting to peel off the sticker.

·
Registered
384 Posts
3M has an adhesive remover in a spray can that works pretty well. Shake, Shoot, let set for approx 3 minutes, and use a putty knive to GENTLY scrape it off.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The fastest, safest way is a 3M disc (think it's called ereaser) on a air die grinder. It's a rubber puck on a spindle. It wears down fast as it takes the guue off. If you don't have air or a die grinder the safest to not harm the paint is mineral spirits/paint thinner on a rag with lots of elbo.
Paint thinner not lacquer thinner!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tried the nail polish remover (acetone) and it worked wonders, a few wipes, no hard scrubbing, and the residue started coming right off. You still see some ghosting but I think that is because the surrounding paint has faded. Thanks for all the suggestions

·
Registered
860 Posts
back in the days of hand lettered signs on tow trucks i would see a truck change hands and the sign painter would spray easy off oven cleaner on the old letter job then just wipe the whole mess off----clean the surface with soad and water then reletter the new name right there....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Goof-off works 1000 times better than goo gone. Between it and an eraser wheel (if needed), you'll be set. Often times you will still be able to see what was there due to clear coat damage on the exposed paint around the decals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts