Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a Fiat 7 dozer with a siezed Iveco Co3-130 engine, which we want to re-power with a Cummins 4BT. Anyone here done this before or have some helpful advice? Thank you!
tomlaine

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
The FD-7 was in the 75-84 HP range so a 4bt would be plenty of power. Could possibly even use a 4b which is non turbo. As far as fit I'd think it could be done. Most likely would need either a SAE2 or SAE3 transmisson/clutch adapter on the 4bt. That would be no problem. Don't know that we've had anyone do a comparable swap. Have you got the old engine out of the dozer? If so, might do a bit of measuring to see if any problems exist. You might have to be a pioneer on this swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FD-7 was in the 75-84 HP range so a 4bt would be plenty of power. Could possibly even use a 4b which is non turbo. As far as fit I'd think it could be done. Most likely would need either a SAE2 or SAE3 transmisson/clutch adapter on the 4bt. That would be no problem. Don't know that we've had anyone do a comparable swap. Have you got the old engine out of the dozer? If so, might do a bit of measuring to see if any problems exist. You might have to be a pioneer on this swap.
Thanks for the quick reply! we will probably not get to pull the engine for a few days yet. It is my brother's machine and he bought it knowing it would need the engine rebuilt or be re-powered with another engine. My brother has a hearing problem & is not very savvy on using a computer, so I am helping him do the research, checking things out & helping him get it running again.We have both done mechanical work on vehicles & heavy equipment but are not expert at it. Advice & help is much appreciated! Thank you!
tomlaine

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
Other things you might take note of when your get the old engine out is oil pan sump position. May not really be a problem on a dozer. Cummins 4bts came with front or rear sump (the pan is reversible but requires different pickups) and an industrial center sump pan. They all hold the same amount of oil. Unless you buy a rebuilt engine you will probably still need to go through any Cummins engine your find. Have seen engines only needing gaskets and seals to be in good order and others needing a total rebuild which can cost as much as the used engine or more. Probably need to take note of the cooling fan position. 4bt fans were located in various positions. Don't know how expensive it would be to rebuild the old engine in the unit. From what I've read parts are available but not very cheap. Of course, anything diesel never tends to be on the cheap side. Neither are parts for heavy equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts