Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can tell you that the guy selling it is very nice, and I would do bizz with him again. He even delivered my motor from NY to Ok.....well for 300 bucks good guy;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
mine too :grinpimp:

he's on this site as well, i forget his handle...
Well as soon as you remember let me know so I can talk chit about him :happyfinger: LOL

·
Registered
425 Posts
That's a pretty good deal, especially with a controller for the 4l80e. That's the setup I'm working on now, minus the controller.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checks in the mail! Actually, I bought it for someone else. That's one heck of a deal for anyone looking to replace a clapped out 6.5/4L80E.
definitely. I'd love to get details on the TCM and what parts are used to make it work with the 4bt. IS it completely stand alone transmission? does it use a TPS, etc, etc. This was why i avoided the 4l80 when doing my swap, for the cost of a rebuilt trans and an aftermarket controller you are looking at about 3 grand easy.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one 4BT/4L80E setup I've seen used a TPS, but not sure on the details. If you guys are interested I'll post up the details of this tranny controller when I get it within the next couple weeks.
sounds good, part numbers would be sweet.

I have heard that certain year chevy diesels with the 4l80 have the seperate controller and will work, but haven't seen any definitive information.

if it has a TPS, info on that would be cool, and if there's a bracket part number that'd be cool too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have heard that certain year chevy diesels with the 4l80 have the seperate controller and will work, but haven't seen any definitive information.
You are correct, the 4L80E has a "stand alone computer" when built with the 6.5 turbo diesel from 1991 untill I believe 1994(whenever the engine became computer controlled)

Jimbo

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
90-93 ish 6.2 and 6.5 GM diesels with the 4L80E had the stand alone TCM. The 90-91 ECM and harness is preferred for the speedo VSS on the tailshaft or transfer case and of course those year model transmissions for the same reason(VSS). The 90-91 3500 1ton trucks were available with a NP205 also.

Lockup converter, OD and stand alone TCM/VSS usable for speedo etc. And...NP205. One of these will do for me when the time comes.

I recently watched a 4L80E/NP205 sell on Fleabay for 1625.00, not bad IMHO.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
90-93 ish 6.2 and 6.5 GM diesels with the 4L80E had the stand alone TCM. The 90-91 ECM and harness is preferred for the speedo VSS on the tailshaft or transfer case and of course those year model transmissions for the same reason(VSS). The 90-91 3500 1ton trucks were available with a NP205 also.

Lockup converter, OD and stand alone TCM/VSS usable for speedo etc. And...NP205. One of these will do for me when the time comes.

I recently watched a 4L80E/NP205 sell on Fleabay for 1625.00, not bad IMHO.
would this be the chassis control box? that's all i can find on car-part.com They say it's located on the right side of the dash.

can you convert a 2wd 4l80 to 4wd? I am considering changing my 700r4 to a 4l80. I am currently 2wd, but i am considering going to 4wd down the road.

would a stock 4l80 hold up to a 4bt? or should i just get a built 700r4, cost is probably about the same i think...

·
Registered
800 Posts
the 700r4 may hold up, if you REALLY beef it up. then you have to mod the TQ adapter ring.

a 2wd 4l80 e can be converted by changeing the output shaft.

a used 4l80e is 650 around here (4wd). the computer is 900 for a compushift. tq converter is 300.

isnt a 700 around 2000 for a "beefed" up one? then 300 for a tq converter.

the 4l80, without a doubt is stronger.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the 700r4 may hold up, if you REALLY beef it up. then you have to mod the TQ adapter ring.

a 2wd 4l80 e can be converted by changeing the output shaft.

a used 4l80e is 650 around here (4wd). the computer is 900 for a compushift. tq converter is 300.

isnt a 700 around 2000 for a "beefed" up one? then 300 for a tq converter.

the 4l80, without a doubt is stronger.
the 700r4 does work, i have driven it about 40 miles so far.

I am highly considering swapping to the 4l80 before i do any long distance heavy towing. I just need to research differences in years for the transmissions. I will probably just run a 2wd transmission and convert the output in the future if i go 4wd.

I do like the idea of being able to control the shift points with the aftermarket controller. car-part.com has the chassis control box listed in places for 35 bucks, so that would def get me going. does it just need a TPS and a tv cable to work?

some people say the 4l80 sucks mileage, any clue if it's true?

how many miles would i expect out of a used 4l80? is it worth buying one with 100k on it?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the tv cable is what a 700 uses, correct? if so, 4l80 doesnt need it. i dont have mine running to tell on mileage.
cool, i guess the TPS does the same thing. That's the only sensor that the compushift uses right? The PCS and TCI controllers look like they use IAT and MAF and Tach to do the shifting, i like the simplicity of one sensor.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Whats involved in changing the output shaft? Do you need to tear the whole thing apart? Then you would need the tranny to t-case adaptor also, right?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts