Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any luck simply using a tee to run the return line back into the supply line?

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
It's not a good idea.
The fuel flow helps cool the injection pump, and fresh cool fuel is what it needs.

On some other engines, like Detroit's, it is extremely important to have separate suction and return lines in the tank. As the injectors in the heads are cooled by the excess fuel flow, a gallon per minute at idle...

Grigg

·
Registered
454 Posts
also, engines that return to the pump are pox to get air out of. with a return to tank, it all goes back there.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I wasn't in the mood to drop the fuel tank, so I used some 3/16" fuel hose and two long pieces of metal brak line to run my return back to the rear of the truck.....then tapped a "T" into the vent hose side of the filler neck. So the return fuel runs down the vent hose into the tank.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wasn't in the mood to drop the fuel tank, so I used some 3/16" fuel hose and two long pieces of metal brak line to run my return back to the rear of the truck.....then tapped a "T" into the vent hose side of the filler neck. So the return fuel runs down the vent hose into the tank.
this is pretty much what i did too. works fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a few extra blocked off ports on the side of my tank, but a mechanic I know suggested that I tee it back in. I'll go ahead and run a complete return line.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do you have a VE pump?

If you do the only issue with looping the return would be purging air. The VE pump will not add heat to the return. A p-pump on the other hand will, but that is because it is lubricated by motor oil that is hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts