Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My 4BT hasn't been started in almost 3 years. In a gasoline engine, I would have pulled the distributor to drive the oil pump by hand and prelube the engine prior to starting it. In a diesel engine, this can be a problem. I have turned the engine over from time to time.
What do you guys suggest?
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you haven't started it in a year, you are obviously a serial engine abuser. I'd suggest that you sell me your engine in order to prevent this from happening again in the future.

:grinpimp:

RW

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want ONE MILLION DOLLARS! :smile:

·
Banned
427 Posts
MIKEL,
Heres how you do it in a diesel my friend. drain the old oil & change the filter. do NOT PRIME filter just lube the rubber o-ring and screw it on. now make a oil tank that will hold the proper amount of oil and make a line up to go from the tank to the oil sending unit hole. then make a fitting to hook up you shop air compressor ( with a regulator set at 10 psi ) or get a small block chevy oil pump and drive it with a drill and fill the engine with oil. it will go everywhere its supposed to just like the engine was running. also change the fuel filters and prime them.also spin the turbo by hand to make sure it hasnt setup.
bob

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
MIKEL,
Heres how you do it in a diesel my friend. drain the old oil & change the filter. do NOT PRIME filter just lube the rubber o-ring and screw it on. now make a oil tank that will hold the proper amount of oil and make a line up to go from the tank to the oil sending unit hole. then make a fitting to hook up you shop air compressor ( with a regulator set at 10 psi ) or get a small block chevy oil pump and drive it with a drill and fill the engine with oil. it will go everywhere its supposed to just like the engine was running. also change the fuel filters and prime them.also spin the turbo by hand to make sure it hasnt setup.
bob
The other option is to buy a cheap plastic garden sprayer with a removable sprayer tip and thread the hose in as above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts